OMC points/tune up kits obselete??

Outboard Related Only
Jerry Ahrens

Re: OMC points/tune up kits obselete??

Postby Jerry Ahrens » Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 am

I struggle with finding good parts almost every day at my shop, even for some of the modern engines. The rule of thumb for me, is that if it's not OEM, I will most likely have problems with the said part, or I may even have a come back.... with an unhappy customer. I've learned this lesson many times. I ordered in some U-joints the other day, and got the Sierra equivalents since they have always been made in Singapore, the same as the Mercury Marine part. (This is one of the few aftermarket parts I buy) When I looked on the box, they are now made in China! So they have went the cheap route... I'll be sending them back and ordering the Quicksilver ones.(Lesson learned again)
I have been turning to E bay quite a bit to find parts for the older engines I work on, especially OMC. Their usually much cheaper, and will be of much better quality than the current stuff. I look for parts in the OMC or the SysteMatched box.
Jerry Ahrens AOMCI Member MAPS Chapter President

49Hiawatha

Postby 49Hiawatha » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 am

Jerry a good heads up post. Thank you.

Dan in TN

Postby Dan in TN » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 am

OK, got my email back this morning from BRP rep. They are having trouble with their vendor that makes the points. The fill date was suppose to be end of April so hopefully parts will be back in stock soon.

As far as any particular dealer having any stock that's hit or miss? If you find a dealer who had a lot of stock & hasn't sold it all yet (or high priced) then they may still have some in stock.

Dan in TN

Jerry Ahrens

Postby Jerry Ahrens » Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Good news, thanks Dan.
Jerry Ahrens AOMCI Member MAPS Chapter President

Fisherman6

Postby Fisherman6 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Thank you for checking into this Dan. I'm sure hoping they are back in stock soon.
-Ben
Ben Breitner
AOMCI Member
YouTube handle: Old JohnnyRude

Return to “Ask A Member”