Bypass cover - what does it "do"?

Outboard Related Only
NJ-boatbuilder57

Bypass cover - what does it "do"?

Postby NJ-boatbuilder57 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 am

Yes, the bypass cover is where the fuel pump gets it's impulse. And, yes, you can take the cover off and peak inside.

But aside from that, what's the purpose? I'm more curious than anything else, but I'm now paying attention because one of mine is oozing green-black oily grime past the gasket.

New gaskets are on order...but it has me wondering: what do these "do"? What is the purpose of these covers?

FrankR

Re: Bypass cover - what does it "do"?

Postby FrankR » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 am

The primary thing they do is cover the hole. The hole was necessary to make the casting and drill the ports. The secondary thing they do is direct the incoming fuel/air charge into the ports

NJ-boatbuilder57

Postby NJ-boatbuilder57 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am

Gotcha.

I suspect, then, that a leaky gasket would cause performance issues. Correct? The engine isn't running badly, per se, but the lower cover is certainly letting gas-oil to blow past the gasket.

FrankR

Postby FrankR » Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

Other than making a mess, you probably would not notice a big difference. Unless it is a major leak like the gasket blown out.

NJ-boatbuilder57

Postby NJ-boatbuilder57 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 am

nah, not a major leak....it's just a little leak. More of a nuisance than anything else, as the slime drips down to the pan and then forward to the air hole, where it dribbles into my boat.

New gaskets should be here tomorrow.

Return to “Ask A Member”