Home Forum Ask A Member Converting folding 4hp to 6hp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Hi All,

Recently acquired a 4hp folding. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a lower unit folding on a 6hp motor (the leg, not the gearcase)? This one has the weedless drive.

Two questions – can I interchange a standard 4hp folding gearcase with the weedless drive?

2nd – To do the full conversion, could I switch a 6hp gearcase out with the foldable driveshaft from the 4hp?

Just figured I’d float this question out there to see if anyone else has tried this one. Would be pretty nifty to have a shifting, foldable 6hp motor as a backup. I know in the late 60’s, the difference between the 3-5hp motors was negligible, and the powerhead was the same for the 4-6hp less the carb.

mr-asa
      Participant

Interesting idea.
        What mechanism does the folding unit use to connect the driveshaft? If everything bolted up, i b would think that would be the main weakness.

johnyrude200
        Participant

It is a split drive shaft with interlocking articulations; there are two bolts that tighten down (one front, one back) similarly to a wood clamp. I mean, the only thing I’d be scavaging would be the lower unit. Fortunately, I have 3 other regular 4hp motors, so comparing parts might be possible to check for compatibility.

I’m not even going to bother doing a cross reference of motor compatibility. I know I won’t find any. My main concern is would a folding driveshaft hold up to the torque of a 6hp motor powerhead….and would that driveshaft be compatible with a 6hp gearcase pinion(shifting) & 6hp crank?

Mumbles
          Participant

The four and six horse motors are two different animals. The only thing they share is the fuel they drink.

Mind you, the mid sixties five horse Johnson LD series were a detuned six horse motor sitting on a three/four horse style lower unit.

oltimer
            Participant
              quote Mumbles:

The four and six horse motors are two different animals. The only thing they share is the fuel they drink.

Mind you, the mid sixties five horse Johnson LD series were a detuned six horse motor sitting on a three/four horse style lower unit.

Plus the shaft size on the 6hp is larger. That would be one large mod to do.

Mumbles
              Participant

You got it Jer. Four splines on the six while the others are probably multi splined to.

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

4 and six have totally different powerhead castings and exhaust housings. So the six isn’t going to fit onto the 4hp exhaust housing. Now if you were to get super creative and make an adapter plate………..?

johnyrude200
                  Participant

Those 5hp motors arent too common. I just sold one a week ago, its too bad I dont have another as it would be interesting to see if there was a way to bridge the gap between a folder using a 5hp exhaust/pan, then modifying the pan to accept the tiller and throttle of a 6hp.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, don’t think it is possible to make the conversion you are considering.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.