Removing tank vent screw?

Outboard Related Only
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Removing tank vent screw?

Postby amuller » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm

This might be a dumb question, but:

I need to replace the sealing washers under some tank cap vent screws. Like what's on the 3 gallon OMC tanks. These are prevented from coming all the way out by a thin stainless steel washer with spring tabs on it, that engage a groove near the end of the screw. I don't see an obvious way to remove the washers without buggering them up. Is there a trick to this? What are these washers properly called and are they a hardware store item?

david bartlett
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Western Maine

Re: Removing tank vent screw?

Postby david bartlett » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 pm

They are called Push Nuts or PAL Nuts. Can get at a good hardware store.
EEBB0C65-4FEF-41D5-8E1A-5D188BE50A8D.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 494 times
81C101F1-04BA-4B16-92D3-742B5767334C.jpeg (902.64 KiB) Viewed 494 times
AOMCI Member
Member Pine Tree Boating Club chapter of AOMCI

"I don't fully understand everything I know."
"There is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." (Kenneth Grahame)

John Schubert
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:41 am

Re: Removing tank vent screw?

Postby John Schubert » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:01 am

To remove them take a center punch & tap at the base of the tab where it begins to taper up. This will release the holding effect & makes for easier removal. Hardware store, auto supply stores & McMaster Carr have tab washers.

Return to “Ask A Member”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: desmo and 10 guests