55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Outboard Related Only
User avatar
Buccaneer
Posts: 3116
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Buccaneer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 pm

FYI, Barry is NOT going to be at Tomahawk.

Richard A. White wrote:Might I suggest, that you contact Barry and see if he is going as I am pretty sure he would bring your order to you..

The blues are from the early 70's I think here is the photo:


coildisplay-fullsize.jpg

User avatar
Fisherman6
Posts: 1576
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 am
Location: SE Michigan
Contact:

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Fisherman6 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:22 pm

For my pressure tester I used a piece of aluminum round bar stock. I threaded it for 3/8-16 on one end with a step for an O-ring. I drilled a hole thru the center. Drilled and tapped for a 0-15psi pressure gauge in the end opposite the 3/8-16 thread and a cross hole drilled and tapped for a Schrader valve. I have used it with a bicycle pump, but prefer regulated compressed air. I'll try to post pics again soon. For some reason it isn't working right now.
-Ben
Ben Breitner
AOMCI Member
YouTube handle: Old JohnnyRude

User avatar
Buccaneer
Posts: 3116
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Buccaneer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Ben, I found this one on this site.
I was thinking "bicycle pump" just to be sure
I didn't over pressurize the LU and blow a seal out!
Attachments
pressure tester.jpg
pressure tester.jpg (245.8 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Wyo307
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Wyo307 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 am

Looking great so far! If you run into anything that is broken and don't have the parts shoot me a message, I have a bunch of misc parts laying around from when I rebuilt mine. I just need to paint mine and it is good to go. Runs great though!
Image

User avatar
Buccaneer
Posts: 3116
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Buccaneer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks for the offer. No idea what "hard parts" I might need yet.
It didn't come with a tiller handle, but then again, I don't have
a boat big enough to test it on, lol.
I do have a 56 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp with a tiller to borrow,
if it fits.
Bunch of parts are now degreased, so time to acquire paint from
somewhere, and start sandblasting.

Wyo307 wrote:Looking great so far! If you run into anything that is broken and don't have the parts shoot me a message, I have a bunch of misc parts laying around from when I rebuilt mine. I just need to paint mine and it is good to go. Runs great though!

User avatar
Richard A. White
CYBER SHERIFF
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Kendallville Indiana
Contact:

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Richard A. White » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am

Use walnut shells....

Richard A. White
AOMCI Member
MOB Chapter President
http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

User avatar
Fisherman6
Posts: 1576
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 am
Location: SE Michigan
Contact:

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Fisherman6 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am

Buccaneer wrote:Ben, I found this one on this site.
I was thinking "bicycle pump" just to be sure
I didn't over pressurize the LU and blow a seal out!

Buc,
That's my tester. ;) I either use a pressure regulator, or only pump up the compressor tank to 10 or 12psi when i use my tester. That way I dont overdo it.
-Ben
Ben Breitner
AOMCI Member
YouTube handle: Old JohnnyRude

User avatar
Richard A. White
CYBER SHERIFF
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Kendallville Indiana
Contact:

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Richard A. White » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh if mine only looked that good :(

Richard A. White
AOMCI Member
MOB Chapter President
http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

fleetwin
Posts: 2411
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:27 pm
Location: Rhode Island

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby fleetwin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Just don't be fooled by faulty gage set ups...I am not criticizing home made stuff, I have had plenty of Stevens testers show false leakage in the gearcase, when the true problem was a gage issue, hose, valve etc...
I guess what I am saying is that if the gear lube comes out without showing signs of water, I would probably just refill and run it...Needless to say, I would change gear lube frequently to ensure all is well. Running it "as is" will give you a chance to make sure the clutch dog is OK as well...
Needless to say, if the lube shows signs of water, then you should pressure test to find the actual problem before resealing...
Oftentimes test equipment that was designed to help us, ends up confusing us with false readings/wrong conclusions....

User avatar
Buccaneer
Posts: 3116
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Postby Buccaneer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Sounds like good logic Fleetwin.
Making a pressure tester is on my "list". I would think it would
be handy also when you know you have a leak, but not sure
where. Haven't tried draining the LU yet. Clean and sandblaster
some parts this morning. All afternoon has been mowing and
tending gardens. :-(
Thanks.

fleetwin wrote:Just don't be fooled by faulty gage set ups...I am not criticizing home made stuff, I have had plenty of Stevens testers show false leakage in the gearcase, when the true problem was a gage issue, hose, valve etc...
I guess what I am saying is that if the gear lube comes out without showing signs of water, I would probably just refill and run it...Needless to say, I would change gear lube frequently to ensure all is well. Running it "as is" will give you a chance to make sure the clutch dog is OK as well...
Needless to say, if the lube shows signs of water, then you should pressure test to find the actual problem before resealing...
Oftentimes test equipment that was designed to help us, ends up confusing us with false readings/wrong conclusions....


Return to “Ask A Member”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FrankR, rjoynt, VinTin and 14 guests