I almost feel like I should make a brand new thread for just this subject of one spring or two. But I thought I would post my results here.
I put a lot of thought into which way the motor wants to steer the boat at high speed, and I decided that the right side should have the spring removed. As an experiment I just used a heavy duty zip tie to attach the cable and to the boat, laying over the top of the spring. I have to say, I am very very pleased with the outcome. In order to keep the boat going straight at high speed I would have to turn the wheel at least at a 45 degree. It was a big difference between going slow and going fast as to where the wheel was at. Now, with the zip tie holding the spring from stretching, it is a world of difference. Hardly any change at all in steering input between high-speed and low-speed.
As much as I like to tinker and experiment with things on my boats and my motors, I'm really surprised that I've never actually tried this. It just never even crossed my mind how good it could actually be.
1955 10hp, 25hp, 1957 18hp Johnsons. 1958 35hp, 1972 50hp Evinrudes. Among others...