Johnson MS Flywheel Removal

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson MS Flywheel Removal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Replies: 21
    Topics: 11

I am trying to remove the flywheel on this baby engine. I have tried Doug Penn’s method from his video and some penetrating oil, but to no avail. Would appreciate suggestions–I’m a reluctant to give it too much of a whack because it is so little! Thanks.

Anyone every try Freeze Off or similar product? Thanks.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 913
    Topics: 92

One can not be timid when employing the "whack" method . To avoid doing any harm… preferably use a "knocker" screwed to the shaft end, if not available be sure that the flywheel nut is screwed on flush with the shaft end. Get a helper, have that person lift up on the flywheel, suspending the weight of the motor. The "whackie" must use a heavy hammer and give a solid blow squarely applied to the end of the shaft/ nut / knocker. A little heat applied to the hub of the flywheel will help, but shouldn’t really be needed.

Joe B

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

It is absolutely essential to almost pick up the motor by the flywheel. The end play in the crank may only about six to ten thousandths of an inch. It is not so much the weight of the hammer but the sharpness of the blow. The crank only needs to move a few thousandths of an inch to separate the flywheel. Of course the energy must be centered and directed straight down through the center the crank. Other wise you are just using the crankshaft to drive out the thrust bearing, very hard on the crank. . . 😎

The Boat House

Replies: 4558
    Topics: 111

If you don’t weld just jam 2 nuts together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgE9XiIBnk

Thanks for everyone’s help–put on a double nut, heated it up a little with a hair dryer, lifted it up by the flywheel, gave it a whack and off it popped!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.