elgin 7.5 1955 lower end

Home Forum Ask A Member elgin 7.5 1955 lower end

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• daveor

Replies: 4
    Topics: 1

I need to see how the cable for the neutral is set up on the lower end where the shaft for the prop goes, someone has been into the one I have and put a piece of copper pipe over the cable above the spring and it just does not work. I have no idea what needs to be in there, the cable has to go by the washer below the impeller and it doesn’t with the copper pipe there. I just picked this motor up at a yard sale, has good compression and spark but want to get the neutral fixed before I see if I can get it running,,, Very new here,, in fact this is my first post, Thanks in advance.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I’m no expert on these. I have microfiche diagrams but that’s not going to help you…SOMEBODY here must know a link to Elgin parts diagrams????

Long live American manufacturing!

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

From 1945 through 1963, Elgins were made by the West Bend Aluminum Products Company. The copyright holder has been restrictive on publishing copies of there literature . . . 😕

Garry in Tampa

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Calling on memory of 60 years ago, so bear with me. Also forgive my lack of proper terminology. There is a ramp in the lower end of 21 which pushes on a plunger 20, which moves clutch dog away from forward gear for neutral. Pulling up on 21 is what causes this to happen. Spring 23 pushes 21 back down when tension on cable is relieved.

I think you are asking about tube #25. It is held down by the tab on the lower water pump cover, but is offset enough for the cable to move up and down. The instructions that Garry posted says to use a pin to hold it down for assembly—-something that I’ve forgotten.

daveor

yes, the tube 25 is what I was asking about, does that sit on the washer on the bottom of the impeller? I appears that the tube has been replaced with a piece of copper tubing,, not sure how long it is supposed to be, when I try to put it together, the cable hits the washer on the bottom of the impeller and won’t move.

frankr

Yes,held down by the bronze pump cover. But is should only partially cover the tube leaving a gap on one side, enough for the cable to slide. I don’t think the original was a piece of copper tubing, but that’s challenging my memory.

daveor

thanks,,, will try it again using a pin to hold it down and see what happens,,, gonna wait till tomorrow. too hot in the shop right now.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

The rest of the page . . . 😀

daveor

Thanks guys,,, got it back together, Had no idea how long it had been since it ran,,, 3rd pull over it fired, shut it right off as I don’t have a barrel yet to run it in, wondering if I should put 80/90 lube or use grease in the lower end. I think I saw where it needs a mix of 16-1 for gas too,,

frankr

Grease

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.