Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 30 Dual Fuel Pumps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jim-spencer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is there a purpose for 2 fuel pumps on the Mark 30? I rebuilt the lower pump and the motor seems to run fine. Is there anything to be gained by replacing the internals on the upper pump?

RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is my humble opinion that if you do one fuel pump, you should do both as they are linked together. If one fails then it can take the other one down or cause an issue. The diaphragm kits are inexpensive and easy to install, so why not do them both. I have a MK30 and a Wizard Powermatic 25 which have the dual pumps. I have changed the MK30 and when I get to the 25, I will do both of them as well. If the diaphragm is damaged or leaking, it will cause fuel to get into what ever cylinder the pump runs off, so it is good insurance to do both. I am sure others will chime in and have their opinions.

dave-bernard
        Participant

Rick is correct. mark 30’s need 2 for idle because of low crankcase pressure only. sme block s the mark 55 58 etc . but the 40-44 cubes have more crankcase pressure.

jim-spencer
          Participant

Thanks for the help. I purchased 2 kits, then put one in my Merc 300. I will get another.

dave-bernard
            Participant

you wont regret it. I would buy a few for stock if you find a good buy.

John Schubert
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Merc did the 2 pump thing for the reasons stated, but really not the case MK30H’s only had one pump & those that did Merc made a cover plate to block off the holes. Idled fine except when we went to full butterfles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.