Home Forum Ask A Member ’51-54′ Goodyear 5Hp New Coil clearance help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    slimbob
    Participant

Hello,
      I have a Gale Goodyear 1951-1954 5HP outboard. ’51-54′ Gale, Goodyear 5 HP Model 025-3569 (or 5D10G) (Forward and Neutral shift)

I purchased new ignition parts from Sierra. The Coils are Sierra pt # 18-5181.
      Says it replaces Johnson/E-rude 582995 and 584477.

When I try to mount the coils, one of the towers hits the Armature plate and pushes the hi voltage cap off of the coil tower. It’s too tight a fit.

Question is, did I buy the wrong coils or do I have to curt the tower down an1/8′ or so to make room to grind out some material from the Armature Plate to allow the cap to stay in place?

I must add that the old coils (Not sure if original or not, but not plastic coated) did not have boots installed.

From below and above the plate.

Attachments:

cajuncook1
      Participant

Do not throw the old coils away.

If the Sierra coils have a fit issue with the laminates, then you will have to use the old laminates and the new coil core to properly fit your igntion plate. There have been some issues with Sierra coils and points having correct fitting issues on the magneto plate.

Cajun

slimbob
        Participant

SO, I attempted to cut down the HV tower but t is sturdier than expected. I installed the coils without the boot.
          The old ones did not have them so…..

We’ll see. Will update soon hopefully.

Thank you,
          Slimbob

slimbob
          Participant

Sorry for the delay. Repositioned coils without boots. Engine running good. Not pumping water.
            Having issues removing the lower unit enough to replace impeller. 2 Plates, drive shaft and clutch cable.

Slimbob

Mumbles
            Participant

Here’s a link to an old thread explaining how I spent an enjoyable day installing aftermarket ignition parts onto a ’59 Johnson JW.

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/sierra-s-quality-control-non-existent/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.