Sound deading material.

Home Forum Ask A Member Sound deading material.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)

• bill-mcnamara

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 241
    Topics: 58

I love the sound of these older engines but some passengers have mentioned that conversation is a bit difficult, especially in the aft seat at WOT. Different strokes I guess?

Two possible solutions:
    1) Stop talking while underway.
    2) Apply some sort of sound deadening material inside the aluminum cowls. Have any of you guys tried this sort of "modification"?

Bill.

bill-mcnamara

Ophs, sorry about the typo in the title. Lets edit with "deadening".

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

There are rolls of thin (approx 1/4 inch) foam insulation with foil on one side and stickyback adhesive on the other available at a lot of hardware stores. Old car restorers put it under carpeting and behind the rear seat back to reduce road noise – this stuff may stick inside outboard cowls, but I’ve never tried that. The stuff is a lot cheaper than what looks like the same stuff marketed for the car hobby. Old car resto TV show "Garage Squad" often uses this, and tells you to get it at a hardware store.
    Dave

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

I looked at either Soundown Insulation or Dynamat when I was restoring my ’72 Evinrude. It pays to shop around as prices on both seem to vary quite a bit. Boaters Plus store had a large inventory of Soundown they were selling at a decent price a few months ago.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

โ€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.โ€
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

I cut up an old wet suit for the inside of the ’58 StarFlite cover I put on my V4 hot rod. You could not hear the motor run, It was like being on a sail boat. Many times I hit the starter forgetting I had not shut it off. Easy on the ears, hard on the starter pinion. . . ๐Ÿ˜†

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

I used cheap rubber floor mats from the Dollar store for the cowls ofa couple of 9.5 turtles

I used the old oily dirty foam liners as a pattern to cut up the floor mats which fitted nicely, then glued them up with contact glue.

I did buy a can of spray glue but never got around to using it I plan to use spray glue next time

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

bill-mcnamara

Thanks guys, great ideas and info.
    Also just realized that the foam interlocking tiles that are sold for kids play areas, or garage floors might do the trick also. I’ve got some of those on hand.

nj-boatbuilder57

Replies: 286
    Topics: 41

I was thinking about trying something under the cowling of my Javelin. I looked at Dynamat, but their published data shows a 3db reduction which doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Foam interlocking tiles might be with a try…and cheaper!

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Bill,

I have used Dynamat on my Johnson RD16 with some success. It cuts down on the metallic vibration but trust me you can tell it is a big Twin under the cover.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

it is hard to conceive butโ€ฆ. 3db loss equates to a 50% drop in noise level.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.