Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit on a speeditwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    destroyer85golf
    Participant

First I’d like to say, thank you for the add on this site! I have been around boats since I was a baby. I just recently got into antique motors, when I started stumbling across them for sale on Facebook. The wife is less than thrilled about this new found affinity for “ junk “ as she refers to them. My first score was a evinrude speeditwin model from the 40’s . I have torn the motor down, cleaned everything up, and it runs . Now onto the problem. I have the lower unit all torn apart to check the fears, and clean up what I’m assuming used to be gear grease. It’s more like tar now! My question is , on the front of the lower unit is a machined in hole. I have seen other motors with the different lower unit, they have a cone on them. Does anyone know what goes in there? I’d love to take my little guy for a ride before cold weather gets here!

Attachments:

david-bartlett
      Participant

Welcome.

I know what you are up against with your wife but that is off topic.

There is a “plug” that goes in that hole. I had a SpeediTwin that was missing one also and made one from some aluminum round stock. Had to file it down to fit tight then hammer it in and cut off the excess. I got the round stock from McMaster Carr I believe.

Attachments:

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome to a fun affordable family hobby.

destroyer85golf
          Participant

I appreciate the fast replies, and the information. I was leaning towards a plug, but I wasn’t for sure. I have access to a lathe, I’ll turn one down and get it installed!

david-bartlett
            Participant

With a lathe you will have that done in no time.

destroyer85golf
              Participant

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but does anyone hav any idea on the seal in the top of the lower unit ? Any id a on what to do to replace it, and where I might find one? Looks to be below the impeller and below a bronze bushing .

destroyer85golf
                Participant

These are the two deals that came out of it. At work we use rubber sheet to make gaskets for odd sized flanges, I’m wondering if I can make a couple out of that.

Attachments:

pm-t2
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Some of those lower units have the plug held in place by a 1/4-20 NC screw that threads into the backside of the cone from the inside of the lower unit.

As such, I’m not sure that the plug in the front of that foot is a simple press fit or not.

I’m not sure if the heavy foot with the wings on it is built that way, but you may want to look into that. I’m more familiar with the early 1930’s Speeditwin lower unit than anything else. Hope I don’t cause any confoosion.

Best,
                    PM T2

The Boat House
                    Participant

destroyer85golf
                      Participant

“ I’m not sure if the heavy foot with the wings on it is built that way, but you may want to look into that. I’m more familiar with the early 1930’s Speeditwin lower unit than anything else. Hope I don’t cause any confoosion.”

From what I have been able to gather, these lower units were surplus after the war. So evinrude threw them on these motors and sold the remaining stock. It does have a different parts diagram that calls out for a plug. I actually got the diagram off the AOMCI page.

I’m glad someone posted the correct grease! Being here in the Midwest, has its benefits. There is a John Deere dealership less than 3 blocks from me. I’ll be picking up a few tubes. Now I just have to figure out this grease seal situation, I’m ready to slap this thing back together and run it.

Thank you guys again!!! This has been very very helpful! I appreciate all the good advice and help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.