Home Forum Ask A Member Scott Atwater, 1958 10 hp, drive shaft pin?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m putting together a 1958 Scott. In the gear case, the parts diagram shows a pin for the retainer ring. There wasn’t one there when I took this gear case apart. The pin was also missing in a parts motor I have. I can’t find a source for a replacement, but it’s not clear to me why this pin is needed? That ring slides inside the upper gear. Who cares if it runs or not? Whoever engineered the motor must have thought it was a good idea. Any thoughts?

I hope you can see where the pin would go, on the left side of the photo

Mumbles
      Participant

Hey Dave, I’m pretty sure the pin locates the forward gear on the shaft by going thru the shaft and the inner retainer at the same time. Without it, the gear may climb the shaft or the shaft may spin inside the retainer? I know my ’56 has one in it and you can probably make one easy enough.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I may be wrong here, but doesn’t the retainer and pin prevent somebody from accidently pulling the drive shaft out?

1946zephyr
          Participant

Yes, you definitely are missing a pin. I see both gears are engaged to the shift dog. It’s unknown whether you can get one or not, but you can easily make one and drive it in. You will want one that fits tight in there, so it doesn’t disappear like the last one 😉

frankr
            Participant

US Member

It MIGHT be a roll pin. Get one at Ace Hardware.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can get hardened pins of all sizes & widths at a good price. I use them for many different uses!

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for all the responses. Where do you get hardened pins?

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote FrankR:

I may be wrong here, but doesn’t the retainer and pin prevent somebody from accidently pulling the drive shaft out?

If that’s the only risk, seems okay to go without. The roll pin is a good suggestion as well. Thanks.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

As I see that picture, without that pin, you not gonna be able to shift…..Am I looking at it wrong?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

jim-moffatt
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That pin is a SOB to remove in an original engine (dont ask how I know). It is a steel pin 1/8" OD and just long enough to fit the collar. its purpose is to locate the drive shaft vertically so it doesnt ride up and down and foul the impeller drive pin. Any pin that is a tight fit like a 1/8 roll pin ground to correct length would work. I have used a 1/8" drill bit ground to length

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.