Elto Sportster Not Pumping Water

Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Sportster Not Pumping Water

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)

• pj43

Replies: 7
    Topics: 4

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to outboards and I just picked up an Elto Sportster. It doesn’t seem like there is too much info about them anywhere so hopefully someone can help me. The problem is that the outboard doesn’t pump water. It has an impellar in good shape, but for some reason it won’t pump water. Does anyone know why?

Randy in Tampa

Replies: 619
    Topics: 114

What year model is it?

pj43

quote Randy in Tampa:

What year model is it?

Its a 1949 4432

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8

Are you sure that the impeller is actually turning?

Have you blown out the water passages – both into and out of the water pump housing?

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Running in a barrel or on a boat?

pj43

quote Chris_P:

Running in a barrel or on a boat?

Its running in a bucket, but there was plenty of water to cover the inlet holes.

pj43

quote legendre:

Have you blown out the water passages – both into and out of the water pump housing?

I’m pretty sure its turning but I don’t know how to check for sure. And as for the second part, sort of. I have put degreaser in the holes to make sure the was no oil blocking the tubes.

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8
    quote pj43:

quote legendre:

I’m pretty sure its turning but I don’t know how to check for sure. And as for the second part, sort of. I have put degreaser in the holes to make sure the was no oil blocking the tubes.

I don’t know enough about your specific motor to tell you how to verify impeller rotation – but if it’s gear-driven directly by the prop drive shaft, that’s another matter.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

You may need it deeper in the water. The pump is not self priming, needs to be completely submerged.

pj43

quote Chris_P:

You may need it deeper in the water. The pump is not self priming, needs to be completely submerged.

The inlet holes are in the prop, and the prop was all the way submerged, so I don’t think that is the problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.