Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Selectric 40hp Questions Re: Evinrude Selectric 40hp Questions

frankr
Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    quote Jay:

Thanks again. I have army out of town until the 11th so when I get back I will pull the boat out of the garage and start to get it ready. Do you think running the motor in a bucket in neutral above 2000rpm for a while when I test this out is a bad idea? Should I wait until its on the lake?

Frank, I would love to see a picture or a hear a description of the gen/reg tester. I was thinking during my commute home that you could probably make an adapter that would hold a small electric motor off the side of the engine that could have a pulley like that on top of the flywheel and spin the generator at an appropriate speed, letting you test it out without having to run the motor.

Thanks again for all the details and I will keep you informed as I move forward with this.
    Jay

Yeah, while I’ve done it many times on a flushing attachment, it’s not the greatest idea. At that RPM, it is on the verge of activating the vacuum cut-out switch (or run-away if the switch isn’t working). When I did it, it was just a brief bump up in throttle to see if the regulator’s relay kicked in or not. And had a few hair-standing-on-end experiences when the cut-out didn’t work.

I’ll take and post some pictures later. The tester itself was designed to test the components installed. And I cobbled up a generator on a board with an electric motor to drive it, as you suggested. Doing that, you have to remember the generator actually turns much faster than 2000 RPM because of the pulley diameters. I used a 3200 RPM motor on the board.