Re: Enlighten me about spark plugs

Home Forum Ask A Member Enlighten me about spark plugs Re: Enlighten me about spark plugs

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
Replies: 3583
Topics: 31

In the "good old daze" of sloppy sand castings, loose tolerances, and poorly refined fuels & lubricants, the recommended spark plug was only a sugestion. Some of our apposed cylinder antiques ran best with a different heat range plug in one cylinder. Many were damaged by over advancing the magneto. Things improved with better aluminum alloys and the uniformity of die casting. Even so, some of the Johnson "HD" and "TD" models had vapor lock problems in hot weather. The third port on these mounts the carburetor right next to the exhaust manifold.

The designated "J" Champion sparkplug had the side electrode end over the center of the center electrode. This was said to give a more "open" spark for better ignition in two cycle engines. I always file my new plugs back like that. I figure it can’t hurt. For one thing the way electrons gather on a flat surface makes it easier to jump from a sharp edge. For another thing, the edge gets hotter and wears down faster. A worn sparkplug will always have rounded edges. A little filing there can extend it’s life.

. . . . . 😉