Home Forum Ask A Member 15 Evinrude 1975 no Spark Driver coil ? Re: 15 Evinrude 1975 no Spark Driver coil ?

fleetwin
Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, the engine is recoil start. BUT, it may have been messed with during its years, someone may have removed the electric start stuff.
    The actual question is does the engine have an electric start flywheel, one with a ring gear for an electric starter? Like I say, the electric start flywheel appears to have slightly different magnets accounting for the different resistance specs for electric and rope start driver coils. The resistance you found seems to be for the electric start driver coil, but how accurate is your ohm meter?
    I don’t know of any DVA tests for the driver coil, mainly because there is no way to access the driver coil leads with the flywheel installed and spinning. You could check output to each coil with a peak reading voltmeter, but that test relies on the points/condensers/mag plate wiring to be properly functioning as well, so no/low output does not really isolate the driver coil as a problem. You mention that the driver coil is NOT rubbing on the flywheel, but is it close enough to the flywheel magnets? There is a slight adjustment in the coil location that allows the coils to be set closer/farther away from the flywheel. The flywheel magnets may not be rubbing on the driver coil laminations, but they may not be close enough as well. There is a special locating tool, but the air gap can be set pretty well by eye following Frank’s instructions as well.
    OK, so where does all this blabbering leave you? First, I want to know what style flywheel you have? And, make sure the flywheel does NOT say "CD flywheel" on it. Tell me a little more about this engine, when did you get it, did it ever run OK for you? Next, I want you to check the driver coil air gap carefully following Frank’s instructions, the driver coil will not be able to develop adequate voltage if it is not close enough to the flywheel magnets.
    Finally, you want to know if a new driver coil is "worth the gamble". Driver coil design has been improved over the years, so I would say a driver coil update would be worth the gamble if your engine’s overall condition is good. BUT, be sure you order the correct driver coil for the flywheel your engine has.
    Post some pictures if that will help you/us clarify things.