Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude ’57 Fisherman Throttle / Idle Adjustment? Re: Evinrude ’57 Fisherman Throttle / Idle Adjustment?

mondobug
Participant
    quote david bartlett:

Mondo,

The rotation of the mag plate will make the point opening smaller or larger as it rotates around the high spot of the cam, so yes it matters if using a feeler gauge. If using a timing jig, you will be moving the mag plate as you adjust things.

This probably confuses the issue more than clarifying it.

quote Chris_P:

I assume you are using an 020 feeler gauge? If you use the access holes on top of the flywheel, without removing the flywheel, it will position it for you where it should be.

If you remove the flywheel you set the rubbing block of the points against the key on the crank shaft taper, then set to 020.

I always remove the flywheel myself. I hate working through that little hole! I always like to dress them, and inspect everything as well. Popping the flywheel only takes a second, and gives you much more room to work. Just my 2 cents.

After setting them, always dip paper stock, business card, etc… in acetone, and run that through to clean them for best spark.

In regards to getting your idle lower, what helped me best achieve this was by using a timing fixture and buzz box or meter.

It helps you get the points to fire exactly 180 degrees apart, which really helps in smoothing out a low idle. Only Spider man could achieve this with the feeler gauge alone.

Thanks guys. I don’t rely on point gap alone either. Back when did all the magneto work, I’m sure I did the timing, probably with a light bulb soldered to a battery because that’s the way I did dirt bikes. This time around, I just wanted to check for any changes – and I probably forgot about some of the things I knew about the motor back then. And I did the business card trick – only with CRC Electra-clean.

Question:
    There are two notches 180 degrees apart on the bottom edge of the fly wheel (that can’t be easily seen on the side of the flywheel).
    These are timing marks (one for each set of points) correct?

There are two vertical lines (close together) cast in to the mag plate, just left of the front. When a flywheel notch is between these two vertical lines, the light should go out – and both sets of points use these two same lines. Is that correct?

THANKS AGAIN!