Home Forum Ask A Member Model Year – old old Johnsons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where does one find a chart showing by serial number, what the model year is? IE HD25 was made from 1946-1950.
      But what is the model year in between? Same with TD20.

The Boat House
      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
        george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

Perhaps this is also a good time to do some advertising for the club….Our Ship’s Store has booklets for brand motors containing serial numbers and model numbers tied to years of manufacturing. In my years as a member, I’ve acquired all of those and they are a tremendous help! Support the Ship’s Store!

archangel
          Participant
            quote George Emmanuel:

Perhaps this is also a good time to do some advertising for the club….Our Ship’s Store has booklets for brand motors containing serial numbers and model numbers tied to years of manufacturing. In my years as a member, I’ve acquired all of those and they are a tremendous help! Support the Ship’s Store!

Not to be a trouble maker, but George’s point about the Ship’s Store is a good one. My question is why the Ship’s Store isn’t online. I understand that establishing an online e-commerce site might no be too easy, but I haven’t ever seen the Ship’s Store’s merchandise listed and displayed online. Just a thought. 🙂

itchy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the information. I play around with small Johnson motors from the late 1930’s thru the
              early 1950’s, many of which are made for several years. I’m always wondering which of the many years my particular one was
              made.

lotec
              Participant
                quote itchy:

I’m always wondering which of the many years my particular one was made.

In case you are still unclear, the model number may have been made several years but the serial # list that Tubs posted will key you into the specific year of manufacture. For example a HD-25 with serial # 792,345 would fall into the 1950 allocation. The TD and HDs tend to have the model and serial # stamped into a blank spot where the leg and powerhead mate on the port side. You need to have the cowl off – it’s sort of just forward of the water pipe plumbing and tell-tail elbow.

itchy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know where to find the serial number and model number. I also have the Old Outboard Book, and cannot find the breakdown
                  for Johnson motors, by serial number for years by model. Please someone, tell me what pages they are on! There is much
                  info there. I have 9 HD25 Johnsons, and have no idea what year they were manufactured.

b-morrison
                  Participant

Canada Member

US #’s are on page 276, Canadian #’s on page 291 of the old outboard motor book……Brian

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Also, there were times that the serial number falls in a later year than the motor actually is. For example I have a red and white Johnson, clearly the color scheme is a 1958, but the serial number falls in the 1959 series which were ALL white, LOL….. always something interesting….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
                      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.