Home Forum Ask A Member Champion Hrdro-Drive 4.2 HP Idle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

I am having problems with the slow speed the motor won’t run below start. I have checked the carb over twice and all passages are open used air and a piece of wire. Changing the idle screw is no help, its also hard to start. Do you think the seals are bad? Anyone know the seal part # or size ?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Not knowing any more, I would suspect a problem with the rotary valve. That’s just a wild guess, and worth what you paid.

mercuryman
        Participant

I had a junk Champion 4.2 powerhead and I took it apart, the rotary valve is just a hole in crankshaft not much can go wrong there. It looks kike there isn’t a seal on top . There is just a plain bronze bushing no seal. I have a photo but can’t post here.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Long shot; but what oil ratio are you using? Rotary valve engines seem to like a strong oil mix, in my limited experience with them. I would think it helps the sealing. I think I ran mine at 16:1.

Good spark and compression would be my next suspects, followed by how the throttle picks up with relation to the mag position….I don’t remember much about how Champion did that. I do know mine ran incredibly WELL at idle; so you should expect a lot from yours.

Long live American manufacturing!

jcrigan
            Participant

Those use 3/4 pint oil to the gallon gas. Plugs gapped at .030, points at .018. I sometimes will mix 50-50 30wt oil with tcw111. Seems to help on some of my motors.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.