Home Forum Ask A Member Hello. First Post…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mworthan
    Participant

Hey Folks. First post but I’m sure you’ve seen a ton of the type of post I am bout to make before. I am looking to be pointed in the right direction. I am building a 23′ Pilot House Cruiser for me and the wife to cruise the Florida and Georgia Coast in. Its a retro design and I have a blog you can look at to see what I’m talking about.
      http://redwing23.blogspot.com/
      Its a displacement boat so the power requirements are much lower than a planing boat, around 10hp to push to max hull speed but 20hp+ is recommended with tide, current and wind. The engine would require the ability to convert to remote. Would like to be able to recharge the starter battery. So, obviously would like electric start. If I’m stuck with recoil it is not the end of the world, just would be more complete as an electric start.
      So, The easy thing to do is stick a modern 20hp on it but would look like crap. I also would like to build the powerplant part of this along the same lines as ever other piece of this build. I want to know every piece of my boat inside and out. Can you guys steer me in the right direction. Looking for simplicity, shade tree level mechanical ability with heavy cosmetic ability (painting and body work). I hear the mid 50’s thru early 70’s OMC engines would probably be my best bet. thanks.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Welcome aboard !

pappy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome aboard…..from Central Florida.
          You are on the right track horsepower-wise but the charging capability of the older engines is dismal at best.
          Since the battery will probably be used for other duties as well as a cranking battery you may want to install a VSR between whatever "house" load the battery will supply and the battery.
          A VSR is simply a voltage sensitive relay that will kick the battery off-line to the "house" at a voltage high enough to still allow the battery to start the engine. Blue Seas makes a good, cost effective one.
          Secondly, the engine will only supply a couple amps at most at slower to mid-range cruise RPM and since you are doubling the required horsepower to the boat that is probably where the engine will see most of it’s service life……so be prepared.
          Sounds like a nice project you have there and good luck with it.

mworthan
          Participant

Thanks Dave. Glad to be aboard. Sound advise Pappy. Don’t be afraid to offer suggestions regarding specific models. I need to start a search.

dan-in-tn
            Participant

Hello Mike and welcome to the club. I read your entire blog and enjoyed ever minute of it. I only wish I had the ability to do things like that. I am mechanical only! With what Pappy said am I to assume you are going to have a generator on board? I’m from TN and don’t know anything about these types of ships (in my book), but have you considered twin engines? I have always dreamed of twins just for the safety factor and maneuverability? Just my two cents and oh, us bass boaters wouldn’t go anywhere without at least a 1500 GPH bilge pump. Guess we forget our boat plugs more often than you guys do? LOL! Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Dan in TN

reivertom
              Participant

Man, that sounds like a cool plan. I have always wanted to do something like that. I think you would be better served with an older motor that is in good shape. You will be able to fix it with normal tools and they are not complicated. With OMC motors, parts can be had nearly anywhere. I would look into an 18hp to from the mid 50s to the 60s. My friend’s dad built a 16′ cruiser type boat when we were kids and had an 18 Johnson on it. It would scoot well enough for my little friend to ski behind it. (not me, too big) These motors are usually recoil start, but they aren’t too hard to crank. They have a good power to weight ratio in my book. Most OMC motors of that hp range from the 50s and early 60s use a two line pressure tank, so with your built in tank you would have to convert them to a single line with a fuel pump, which isn’t too hard. If you get an older electric start, just get one of those small gas generators and a battery charger. You need power on the boat anyway. With a good battery, they don’t run down much unless you run the starter quite a bit. You might want to get an auxiliary motor mount and find a 3hp for backup. Keep us posted on your progress.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Boy, that boat is some nice! What nice work! It’s going to be a lot of fun!

I agree with everyone else that small outboard alternators leave something to be desired. For that matter, many bigger outboards do not have the alternator to power ship’s service loads, other than maybe running lights. I think that, if I were going to do what you’re going to do, I would get one of those little portable, stowable, 120 volt generators and then wire in a 20 amp battery charger, made for permanent marine installation, the type that bass boat guys use to charge their electric trolling motor batteries. You could have an engine battery and a ship’s service battery (or multiple SS batteries) with a VSR as Pappy suggests, but also have the ability to charge both banks with the 120 volt charger. You could also plug into shore power and charge them, when docked. Being in FL and GA, you’re going to want to run 12 volt fans in the pilot house, I bet; so you need power.

This is just my opinion; but there is some serious windage on that boat. If you could slip your mind into ’80s outboards, I’d suggest something from the 20/25/30/35 OMC engine family. They are very reliable work horses, salt water-capable and fairly simple to work on, compared to modern engines. Their displacement will allow you to turn into the wind with no problems and will breathe very easy at cruising speed. They often have electric start and battery charging, albeit minimal, adapt easily to remote controls and repair parts are plentiful.

Have fun!!

Long live American manufacturing!

mworthan
                  Participant

Thanks folks. Everyone! Great suggestions and I appreciate the kind words. A few things that I haven’t mentioned. Everyone’s right about the generator. I’ll carry a 2000w yamaha inverter genny and the ship is rigged for 30A shore power. Recharging will be handled that way. I have a Webasto 9000btu marine ac unit to install so a genny has to be part of the equipment.
                    Bill W brought up a good point about "salt water capable". Bill, you mentioned the 80s OMC as this being one of the reasons. Does this factor rule out the older OMC engines? Are the built with parts that can’t take the salt?

mworthan
                    Participant

Oh and bilge pumps? Heck yea. 4 of them and 7000lbs of flotation built in as well. I’m all about keeping my chin above water 😉

mworthan
                      Participant

Also… (I’m reading back through the comments), one factor that is important to me is that I am interested in going this route for the simplicity as much as anything. I plan on cruising some out of the way spots and want to have a power plant with as few moving parts to fail and the ability to fix it myself. I own a Mako 17 skiff with a 2013 Merc 40hp efi 4 stroke. Nice engine but ain’t no way I can work on it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.