Home Forum Ask A Member HD 25 ignition parts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Participant

US Member

Just picked up a hd 25 and the spark is weak on the bottom cylinder. I haven’t pulled the flywheel yet but it looks like coils are fairly challenging to find. If I pull the flywheel and find the coil is bad, what are my options?

Thanks!
      Rob

Rob

Mumbles
      Participant

Try putting a want add on the Free Classifieds section here for any parts you might need.

Those style coils shouldn’t be hard to find. If the spark is weak, I’d check the condenser (0.2 uf) and clean and polish the points first before condemning the coil. Also check the spark plug lead and it’s terminal at the plug end for continuity. The spring terminals can rust and also separate from the copper wire core causing spark issues.

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

The coils and the condensers on these motors are almost always good. Like Mumbles said, "clean and polish the points first". While you have the flywheel off, polish all of the contacts as well, and you may find that the spark issue is solved.

Your HD-25 may have the open brass sparkplug terminals. These assemblies have a brass collar that goes over the wire end, a brass terminal that connects the wire end to the sparkplug, and a tiny Phillips head brass screw that holds the terminal on and screws into the end of the copper core wire for contact. Take those assemblies off and polish up all parts. You can nip the ends of the wire for a ‘new’ connection to the ignition wire and reinstall the tiny brass screw. If the plug wires are brittle and cracked, they can be replaced but that is another topic.

Rob
          Participant

US Member

Thanks!

That information helps! The spark plug wires ARE brittle and cracked. I haven’t pulled the flywheel yet, but I assume that I can just solder new wires on the the old coils?

Thanks!
            Rob

Rob

david-bartlett
            Participant

Rob,

If you do solder new wires, be sure to use a good iron that will get hot quickly. You do not want to let the heat linger on the coil any longer than needed.

Tin the wire first, then solder it to the tab on the coil.

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

If you decide to solder new wires on, then make sure you use 7mm copper core wire, and rosin core solder with no flux. Acid core solder is not good for this application, and will turn green.

As David mentioned, you really need to minimize the heat that gets applied to the coil button or the coil will be destroyed. I got a first hand lesson in that. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.