Home Forum Ask A Member 1950s Corsair Paint

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    skeg
    Participant

Hello fellow members. I am restoring a 1949 Scott- Atwater 5hp Corsair. Runs like a charm and have first year issue of the gear shift offering. I have tried effanco and NY marine for Paint and have had no luck. Have any members performed a cosmetic restoration utilizing the hammered blue finish for the tank and shrouds and the greenish gold finish for the LU.? Any guidance on this one would be greatly appreciated. Was fortunate enough to get a good set of decals from Dixie Hammock and all parts are in order and working…….now time for paint.

Thanks very much

Kevin
      AKA SKEG
      651-271-2698
      mcgrath1281@gmail.com

Mumbles
      Participant

I’m not sure where these pics came from but it may help if you have to get some paint custom made.

skeg
        Participant

Thanks Mumbles. There are exactly the colors I am looking for.

Skeg

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe it belongs to a member in the Florida Gator Chapter . . . 🙂

thumper
            Participant

I have one and hope it will look like this some day

raglover
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If you have an automotive paint supply shop around they can usually match to the inside of the cowl or some other non faded area if you have one. I am not sure about he hammer tone finish if it is textured however (not familiar with that model)

I have had good luck with DuPont nasson automotive paint. You can get the self etching primer, base, catalyst, clear all under nasson name. Reasonably priced. Some Napa’s and o’rielley auto parts stores sell it, but always got mine from a paint shop.

skeg
                Participant

Thank you members for your guidance!
                  Skeg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.