Home Forum Ask A Member ’58 Four Fifty water temp gauge?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    58fourfifty
    Participant

Is there a way to tap into the water jacket on my Four Fifty to add a temp gauge? I’d rather have the sender actually in water rather than just clamped to the side of the block.

Thanks 😉

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm. Your engine does not have the heads with removable water covers, so trying to tap into the cooling system seems unlikely.
        True, you could tap into the exhaust cover, but the engine runs relatively cool there, so a gage reading there wouldn’t mean much. The other problem is there is not temperature sender lead in your engine harness, so you would have to run a separate lead up to the dash, kind of messy. You could tap into the exhaust cooling chamber for a water pressure gage though, but you would still have to run the separate water hose from the engine up to the gage. I’m trying to remember if this engine has a hot light, but I don’t think it does, because there is no sender provision in the head for this.
        So, you are left with the option of the surface mount temperature gage sender, or the water pressure gage.

58fourfifty
        Participant

Well, that’s not good news. If it had a hot light, I’d be ok with that, but it doesn’t. It’s such a great motor I don’t want to run the risk of frying it. Maybe a surface mount is my only choice. I don’t mind running an extra wire forward.

V.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.