Recommended outboard for a Richline S-12

Outboard Related Only
Pappy

Re: Recommended outboard for a Richline S-12

Postby Pappy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Good deal.....you won't regret it. Submerge the pitot barely far enough to work at your new location.
Grew up in a Johnson Outboard dealership in the Keys. OMC Engineering 4 years, OMC Tech Rep in Florida 18 years. Another 10 years Appllications Engineering for Volvo Penta. Now doing half days at a dealership and relaxing more!

timmy3131

Postby timmy3131 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 am

elgin.jpg
elgin.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 783 times

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 am

That one looks very straight from what I can see of it. (hint) More photos would be great!
Looks to be in better shape, i.e. less work than the Model R when I got it. I had to remover brushed on silver paint over the top of goldish brown paint on the outside and the same brown junk but thicker on the inside. I went to Sherwin-Williams. They have a soy based stripper that doesn't eat your skin that worked wonderfully.

Grew up in a Johnson Outboard dealership in the Keys. OMC Engineering 4 years, OMC Tech Rep in Florida 18 years. Another 10 years Appllications Engineering for Volvo Penta. Now doing half days at a dealership and relaxing more!

XR55

Postby XR55 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm

You could glue a plastic block to the transom and not drill the aluminum to mount the speedometer pickup.

auldscott
Editor The Antique Outboarder

Postby auldscott » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:43 pm

This is a good problem to have! I have always maintained that the fun is in the search. If there is a capacity plate on your Richline, use that as a guide (in some states it's more like a restriction) to the power you select. One of our members runs a Scott 40 on a 12' tin runabout. One thing to consider is the strength of the hull. Some 12' boats are not strong enough to carry more than 10 hp. I used to own a 12' v bottom fishing boat rated for 7.5 hp but the transom would flex alarmingly when I ran a 5 on it so I greatly reinforced the transom and ran a Mark 20 on it. All that said, an overpowered boat will be squirrelly and unpredictable, perhaps dangerous. Sneak up on it, starting with the 15.

Return to “Ask A Member”