Home Forum Ask A Member Olliver 5 1/2hp fuel fitting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    brian-grigsby
    Participant

Does anybody have a pic of the type of fuel fitting I need for a ’58 olliver 5 1/2hp? Thanks, Brian.

lotec
      Participant

Here you go:

Connector

Motor end

No, it’s not the same as a Chrysler/Force. May be the same as Champion, still trying to verify that.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Looks like a common (Industrial shape) air hose connector (???).
          http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-quick … gs/=zyi8y5

brian-grigsby
          Participant

Looks like the Chrysler to me. Hopefully so because I have one of those. Going to look at the motor tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Thanks all.

retiredoz
            Participant

Worst comes to worst, you can always find a Chrysler fitting for the motor end. Lots of Clintons and Eskas used them..

lotec
              Participant

As noted in my previous post, the fitting isn’t the same as a Chrysler so that won’t work. And I don’t think the hole through the handle on the motor will accommodate a Chrysler male fitting.

I am intrigued by Frank’s thoughts that it could be an air chuck fitting – it would be just like Oliver (and Champion) to do something like that. Looks like they have all the measurements on the side-bar of his link. My only concern would be how the seals hold up to our modern fuel.

EDIT: For grins I tried a size "M" air connector from my shop: it did seem to fit, though I didn’t test it for leakage. It felt like it latched on well but when I wiggled it side-to side it was a little wobbly. A quick inspection showed the end-opening is 30-thousandths larger than the Oliver one, so that may need a bushing. And I don’t know how the air connector will hold up to fuel instead of air going through it. It’s worth someone doing more research, especially since the "M" connectors can be found at Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc… Kudos to Frank for spying this possible connector resource!

Oliver connector (L) M-style air connector (R)

The Boat House
                Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                  brian-grigsby
                  Participant

Ok. Just got the motor yesterday. The guy found a fitting, and it does look like an air fitting as stated. On the Wizard model this fitting barley fits before rubbing the handle. Have not tested it for leakage yet.

frankr
                    Participant

Needless to say, those air fittings come in dozens of brands, mostly made in China. That means the seals may be different from brand to brand, as well as the physical OD of the coupling. I bought a box of Milton (USA) couplings when I set up my shop 20 years ago and most of the originals are still working. There are traces of oil in the shop air, which doesn’t affect the seals. But of course, no gasoline or ethanol. That’s a different topic. Hey, there was no ethanol when the Oliver was built either.

brian-grigsby
                      Participant
                        quote FrankR:

Needless to say, those air fittings come in dozens of brands, mostly made in China. That means the seals may be different from brand to brand, as well as the physical OD of the coupling. I bought a box of Milton (USA) couplings when I set up my shop 20 years ago and most of the originals are still working. There are traces of oil in the shop air, which doesn’t affect the seals. But of course, no gasoline or ethanol. That’s a different topic. Hey, there was no ethanol when the Oliver was built either.

Good point Frank. I drive out of my way to steer clear of ethanol. I may change to a Chrysler setup if I end up keeping it. Don’t want any leaks for sure. Brian.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.