Home Forum Ask A Member gears, QD 11?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can the forward and revers gears be swapped in this motor? They look identical. I’ve heard about flipping a clutch dog if it gets worn, but the gears also have been worn so that seems like a time-limited solution. I may have found a NOS clutch dog. If it’s true that these gears can swap, I’m good…..I think.

Attachments:

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

According to the Johnson Common Parts Reference Guide the QD-10 and QD-11 had specific gear sets. QD-10 is part number #375686 & QD-11 is #375722. These are the gear sets and they do not supercede. I don’t have the parts manuals and can’t tell driveshaft part numbers. The pinion to driveshaft fit may be different which causes the different part number gear set. Maybe someone has better information as to where things went from there. I suspect it was because they were straight cut gears. Later gears were spiral cut which were quieter. BTW: QD-12 thru 16B were all the same #375844. The shifter #375711 stayed the same for many years. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

frankr
        Participant

Not absolutely certain without looking at them, but reasonably sure the forward and reverse gears are not swappable. Take a look—aren’t they different where the bushing goes on the forward gear?

chris-p
          Participant

`Its hard to tell, but it doesn’t look like either gear is any good>? Maybe its the pics.

I have not had an early QD apart in a while, but I believe that the reverse gear has a removable bushing, the forward gear fixed. Also, are the aft sections not different? For where the forward gear would drop into the casting.

Im not certain, but do not believe that you can swap the gears.

dan-in-tn
            Participant

You can always recut the gear’s lugs with the 2 to 5 degree under cut that Pappy describes. Using your new shifter to make sure the two faces engage at the same time, that will work. Definitely saves some bucks.

Dan in TN

1946zephyr
              Participant

If that is a split case lower, I have all the innards, if you need them.

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I’ll have to inspect he gears further. The I couldn’t see a difference between the forward and reverse.

Dan, where is Pappy’s description of repairing the gears? Who does work like that?

1946Zephyr, I sent you a pm.

melugin
                  Participant

It appears that one side of both drive gears have a lug badly worn. Is this actual?
                    If this is the case, it is much more than a clutch dog or drive gear problem. Something just wasn’t lining up right to begin with.

johnyrude200
                    Participant

I’m pretty sure the main difference between forward and reverse is the length of the neck of the gear. Forward has a shorter neck than reverse (or vice versa). Can’t speak to different model years.

pappy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David – Check with 1946Zephyr on the parts he has offered you. That will probably work out well for you.
                        If not then I will post the how-to on cutting the drive face of both the gear and clutch dog to an undercut.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.