Home Forum Ask A Member Stuck Piston Removal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kevinf
    Participant

Cabin fever set in this weekend so I decided to brave the sub-freezing shop. I’ve been soaking a Ruddertwin block in ATF for a couple of months. I made up a plate to seal the exhaust port and used the grease gun to push the piston down to the point where the intake ports opened.I cant move the piston freely yet, I can’t get an impact driver on the con rod cap screws to remove the cylinder from the block and I can’t figure out how to block the intake ports in the piston. Any good ideas on how to proceed out there?

Kev

chris-p
      Participant

Will that block fit in a crock pot? I think it should…..that is what I have been doing lately, and works great! Boil for a bit, then put out in cold. Boil, out in cold. Boil, then penetrating oil, and she should start moving! I use antifreeze in the crock pot, as per an old recommendation by Lloyd on here.

Mumbles
        Participant

When I tried using antifreeze heated up on a hotplate, the darn stuff started catching on fire! I can’t remember if Lloyd mentioned to mix it with water or not but I was probably using it straight out of the jug. 😯

outboard315
          Participant

I saw a motorcycle show where they had a old motor that would not turn over and he just put a hot plate under the engine to heat up the old oil and it started to spin. Not sure if there was a slide of hand they skipped over or a shot of some fluid not shown but it seemed to work.

pappy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Antifreeze in a crockpot works wonders on engines. I have done this for decades on model airplane engines stuck with varnish. Use it straight…..and apparently not on a hot plate!!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think I am misunderstanding you a bit. Were you able to move the piston down until the ports opened with the grease gun, or not?

The Boat House
                Participant

Check you messages Kevin.

kevinf
                  Participant

@fleetwin – Yes I got it to move from near TDC down to where the intake ports in the piston skirt open. There is actually about 3/8" of skirt showing at the bottom of sleeve so I have some room to work. Tubs had a good suggestion that I’m going to try. I’ll let you know if it works 🙂

@Mumbles
                    and Chris_P – that sounds a bit like cannibalism or something. Boiling your cylinder in oil until tender. Actually when I was a kid Dad kept a big can of used motor oil near the stove in the shop. Frozen parts, motorcycle chains what ever went in the can and came out in the spring all ready to go again.

chris-p
                    Participant

It does work real well! Just don’t use your wifes NEW crockpot! Apparently that is frowned up, or so I learned.

Mumbles
                      Participant

When I think about it now, I think I was using a Coleman stove with an open flame instead of a hotplate and was probably thinking if a bit of warmth is good, a whole bunch of heat is better!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.