68 Evenrude 9.5 hp outboard set up

Home Forum Ask A Member 68 Evenrude 9.5 hp outboard set up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• cusoak

Replies: 3
    Topics: 1

I am new to this site and I hope that this is where I can post this question
    I am wondering if it is possible to to remotely control the motor.
    Another words use a steering wheel with a cable set up.
    I think that would not be to hard but how would I control the motor speed and shifting?
    Thanks for your help.
    Jeff

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I don’t know a lot about the 9.5s but I cannot think of a way to do that with that particular motor, due to its design.

I would get a 10hp myself. I find that extra .5hp really helps, and seems to be more than just .5hp

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well
    There were OEM kits available to convert the engine to remote control and steering. But, those kits would be real tough to find now. Maybe someone has an accessory catalog from back then and can provide part numbers.

cusoak

Thanks. I hope some one does have catalog

cusoak

If nothing else I would like to be able to steer it with a cable set up and wheel

johnyrude200

Replies: 782
    Topics: 186

Those can be converted to remote steering and throttle, but the kit is uncommon. I have seen probably 4-5 of these kits on the open market in the last year, here is what one looks like. It involves switching the shift lever, and then mounting another fixture to the motor allowing for the throttle and shifter cables to be mounted. There is a lever that feeds through a hole in the side of the motor (I am assuming you have to drill this hole) which attaches to the internal throttle lever. The original recommendations call for removing the spring from the tiller handle so that the twist-grip throttle can turn more easily too, and I’m pretty sure this is for any remote set up where the tiller is still connected.

You can see the orifice on the add-on bracket where you’d attach your remote steering, this is a common set up for these older OMC’s.

I’d like to get my hands on one just as a collector’s item, but can’t imagine the practical application. I suppose for a small boat one of those 9.5’s might be a nice ‘spectacle’ to have set up for remote steering.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, that is the kit alright, now just need to find the part number!
    OK, here it is:
    http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … &sid=35609
    The part number for the complete kit is:
    Good luck in your search, you never know!
    Try the classified section here along with ebay
    Don

chris-p

Interesting I have never seen that before! Seems like a lot of work though, for what it is. Seems easier to swap to a 10

chris-p

I have the accessories manual, so just looked and sure enough there it was!

Part number 379893 for the MQ-10S through 12

Remote Control Adaptor Kit.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well we seem to have found different part numbers, mine was found when looking up 1972 models, which I "asssssumed" would be the same as the 1968 model. Tried the 68 parts book, but couldn’t find any accessories. Will keep looking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.