I have angler issues

Home Forum Ask A Member I have angler issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

• wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

!965 Evinrude Angler 5 hp

This motor is one of the 30 I got recently. Looking at the parts diagram I don’t see a t’ stat, but on the 6 hp with the same powerhead there is a t’ stat.

I see the upper half of the carb has a different part number too. Is this where that 1 horsepower is lost on the 5 horse?

Anyone have a spare prop # 0380104 ? The pictures of the replacements I have found on the net don’t seem to have the correct hub.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I may in my boxes of props. What are the measurements of it do you know in case some are not marked?

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Your Angler is a detuned six horse matched up to a JH style lower section. ME doesn’t show a stat in their diagram but I think it should be there. The carb and manifold bores are a lot smaller than the six horse ones and I’m sure this is how they got them down to five horse. After searching for ages, I finally found a correct prop for mine at the boneyard up in Campbell River.

Don’t do what I did once though. For my missing prop, I did some machining and adapted an old CD or something prop to the LD. Standing back and admiring my work, it suddenly dawned on me that the motor needed a left hand prop and I had fitted a right hand prop to it! 😥

wedgie

quote Mumbles:

Your Angler is a detuned six horse matched up to a JH style lower section. ME doesn’t show a stat in their diagram but I think it should be there. The carb and manifold bores are a lot smaller than the six horse ones and I’m sure this is how they got them down to five horse. After searching for ages, I finally found a correct prop for mine at the boneyard up in Campbell River.

Don’t do what I did once though. For my missing prop, I did some machining and adapted an old CD or something prop to the LD. Standing back and admiring my work, it suddenly dawned on me that the motor needed a left hand prop and I had fitted a right hand prop to it! 😥

I did that with a Scott Atwater once, and didn’t notice until I was on the water going backwards in forward gear 😆 .

I will take the tstat cover off and see if there’s one in there or not.

Thanks Chris ! The prop is supposed to be an 8 inch diameter and a 7 1/2 inch pitch and a 1/2 inch prop shaft. I do have (from a 3432r Yachtwin) an 8 inch with only a 4 1/2 inch pitch that fits. running with this would cause it to over rev correct?

I am going to have to get a whole bunch of coils and gaskets and seals etc in the near future. Better cash in some of my overtime. 🙁

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961

That is interesting. ME and OMC do not show a thermostat from 1965 till 1968 for the 5hp motor. I guess there is some reason for that, but not sure what it is? Not just a typo for that many years I don’t believe. Does anyone know if the head is built to accept a thermostat? Same part #311212 for 5 & 6hp motors. It should accept a thermostat. Couldn’t see what it would hurt. Maybe it was a cost savings?

Dan in TN

chris-p

Were they supposed to be 2 blade? or 3?

wedgie

quote Chris_P:

Were they supposed to be 2 blade? or 3?

Parts diagram shows 2 blades, but Michigan wheel replacement 12004 says it’s 3. I will look through my parts books and see if I have it

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

5hp did not have a thermostat. Anything to save a buck, since it was a bare-bones motor supposed to compete with Eska / Sears. But they did offer a thermostat "kit".

The propellers are about rare as chicken fangs. I have one out in the shop that I can’t get off the shaft.

The carburetor venturi is very small. Probably not much different than a 3hp. I believe the reeds are same as 6hp though.

ed-sam

Replies: 36
    Topics: 1

I may have a NOS 2 blade left hand prop for you. I will check my shed tomorrow if we are not in the middle of a snowstorm. Ed
    Send me an email and I will respond.
    edbevsam@yahoo.com

chris-p

Sorry Wedgie but no left hand props that size. Must be rare like Frank said! I usually have every OMC prop covered.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.