Dead electric starter

Home Forum Ask A Member Dead electric starter

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

So I have this dead starter off an elderly Scott 40, and for lack of anything better to do I decided to take it apart to see if anything obvious pops up. I don’t know all that much about starters, but I coulda sworn they have magnets lining the housing ? This one has what looks like magnets, but no magnetic force to be found. Just to check, I dismantled another derelict starter, and it does indeed have some hefty magnets inside.
    So what gives ? Could these things just de-magnetize themselves ? Under what circumstances ?

If anybody has a working starter for a 40 – or 45-hp Scott/McCulloch, I’d appreciate a heads up. Far as I can tell, this one’s out of print.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

That’s different. Usually a starter has windings around the field poles and they get magnetised when the switch is thrown.

What make and model is your starter?

Attachments:

retiredoz

It’s a Delco-Remy 1113571. The one I used for comparison is #386430 off a 9.9-15 E/J. Got me.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Well, I found this diagram of your starter and it shows the field coils.

You might have some residual magnetism in the one.

Just thinking, that 9.9 starter should be a two brush starter and it will have permanent magnets fastened to the housing. It’s very similar to a lawn mower starter in operation.

Attachments:

retiredoz

So you’re really trying to tell me not all starters are created equal ? I was starting to suspect as much. Now I’m just back to looking for a working replacement. I got the impression parts for this thing are not readily available, even if I had a clue to which part needs replacing.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Short story: Up until around the 1970’s all starters had field coils. You can see the wire wound around them. When you hit the starter switch, a fairly heavy current flows through those coils, which makes them magnetic (an electro-magnet). Around 1970-ish, they started using permanent field magnets. Easy to recognize by looking–no wire windings. Much more efficient because there is no electricity wasted energizing the fields. And they can be made smaller too. One caution: Those permanent magnets can shatter. Dropping the starter onto the floor is one way of dong it.

ede

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 181
    Topics: 7

Oz, I have a box of NOS Delco replacement parts. Have a need and can identify a part number, ask. I would be more than happy to help you out . Ed

retiredoz

Thanks, Ed. I’ve got the parts list, but I don’t have a clue what part is defective. Sorta feel the same way about this as I do about my PC – I don’t want to know what makes it work, I just want the damn thing to work.

And thank you Frank for clearing that up. I often wondered why the wiring harness for the 9.9s seemed to be so lightweight in comparison to the older motors. So I did pick an apple to compare to my orange.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.