Home Forum Ask A Member 53′ Big Twin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    terriblecj
    Participant

Cleaning up this old Big Twin in the garage. Has an electric starter with sprocket and I guess chain driven. Also has electric choke solenoid. How do I get the pull start-engagement piece and electric starter gear off the flywheel to remove the flywheel? Looks to be in decent shape other than being dirty as heck. Missing glass carb bowl, carb adjust knobs and has a nasty chunk missing from the prop. Is this a factory electric starter or an aftermarket? Thanks for any insights

terriblecj
      Participant

And the cover..

Mumbles
        Participant

Yippers, that’s one of those aftermarket starters which were used until the factory electric starter became an option in ’54. I might be wrong but I don’t think the option was available in ’53. It looks as if you need a large internal hex socket or Allen key to get the nut off.

I’ll try and find some pics I have of the same starter system. Who knows, it might even be the same motor!

terriblecj
          Participant

Not sure if the starter works or not but I doubt I’ll keep it on. How hard are these to start with the recoil? Still trying to figure out how to remove the flywheel. I don’t have anything big enough that fits that opening. I figure it’ll at least be lighter without the electric stuff.

Mumbles
            Participant

What if you find a nut which fits it and then thread a bolt into the nut and weld it up or use a second jam nut? Then you could use a standard socket to turn it.

1946zephyr
              Participant

That’s a classic motor there. Hows the compression on that? I bet that it’s still pretty good, since its been stored for a long time.

terriblecj
                Participant

Thanks Zeph, Something about it leaning in a shed with a dirt floor made me pity the thing. It’s crusty and its had some critters in it over the years but pretty good. I’ve had worse at least. I have high hopes once I get the flywheel off and ignition tuned it’s gonna run pretty good. The missing stuff on it should be no sweat to find but I’m a ways away from that point. The throttle was seized up but after a couple days of penetrating oil, it freed right up and now works good. First motor I’ve had with the cable/pulley throttle. I recently moved into my new house and it’s been one thing after the next and I’ve had projects piling up the whole time. The shop, outboards, guitars, amps, speakers, cars, boats….the house in general…..anyways, I’ll report back later when I’ve penetrated a few more layers of Big Twin..

Attachments:

terriblecj
                  Participant

Attachments:

1946zephyr
                    Participant

The Big Twins are my favorite motors. I have a few, 1955 and newer. That bugger may surprise you.

terriblecj
                      Participant

Funny, the old clunky starter works just fine. The sprocket on the flywheel of the motor turns freely though the pull start engagement deal stays put. How could this have started the motor? Or is it broken? Or am I missing something completely? A bicycle chain would work?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.