Home Forum Ask A Member 1986 Johnson 45hp Lower unit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

Just re-assembled this L/U with a 15” driveshaft, converting the motor from long to short shaft. Have the shim gauge and .005 looks right, put it all back together and it takes the driveshaft 1/2 turn to engage forward gear, turning it back and forth. That seems like a lot to me, was expecting a very small amount of backlash. It’s the right part number shaft and it’s identical to the 20” shaft that came out, except 5” shorter. Seems like the gears are barely engaging, but I don’t see how that is possible. No left over parts, everything put back in the correct order, in fact the shifter & forward gear & prop shaft with clutch dog were not removed.

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think what you are feeling is the space between the jaws on the gear, and the jaws on the clutch dog. I’m not familiar with that particular motor but that is probably normal. I’ll bet Jim or Dan will know for sure.[/size]

beerman57
        Participant

I’ve been talking to Dan about this L/U and got all the seals, Orings, etc. from him, but couldn’t get in touch with him yesterday afternoon. I guess this must be normal but it sure isn’t what I was expecting. Makes me think the pinion is just barely engaging forward, but the parts all seem right and I don’t know what I could have done wrong.

pappy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The pinion gear engages both the reverse and forward gear all the time. That is tooth to tooth contact.
            The slop you are feeling is the engagement between the lugs on the clutch dog and the lugs on the forward gear or reverse gear depending on where the shift rod is.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, just in case you are not feeling clutch dog engagement….
              First, I’m wondering how you converted to a 15" unit, didn’t you have to change the exhaust housing???? So, if you measured .005" on the OMC shim gage kit, that means you added .015" of shims, correct? Adding .015" shims would surely result in less backlash, so that seems in the ball park.
              There is a lot of confusion with these engines, because some of them come with the smaller 40-50hp style gearcase, while the commercial models, like yours, usually come with the larger 3cylinder style gearcase. I don’t think you could inadvertenly get the small gearcase driveshaft to fit into the larger gearcase, the upper bearing set up is completely different as well, but you never know. Although I wouldn’t think the pinion from the larger case would fit properly onto the smaller style driveshaft. You didn’t change any of the other parts, so the driveshaft seems to be the only question mark…The only other thing I can think of is if you accidentally left out one of the thrust washers for either of the gears, or perhaps the thrust bearings. Did you leave out the upper thrust washer/bearing??
              Nonetheless, check it over very carefully before trying it out. I don’t think the unit will last very long if in fact there is that much slop in the gear lash.

beerman57
              Participant

Pappy is right, I was looking at it all wrong and feeling the clutch dog going from one lug to another. The motor is actually a 40hp and someone put a 45hp L/U on. And the exhaust doesn’t appear to be an issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.