1960s Johnson 10 hp

Home Forum Ask A Member 1960s Johnson 10 hp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• mgsolakis

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 155
    Topics: 48

This is the white one with a single needle on the front, I think it is a high speed needle. Well my issue is that the needle is really loose and spins as the motor runs. What can I do to fix this. Also is the correct setting 3/4 turn from lightly seated? Thanks!

wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

If it only has one needle, it is a low speed needle. The high speed jet is fixed . To stop the low speed from spinning, tighten the packing nut . The needle should be set when running on a boat after the motor has warmed up and The 3/4 out is just a starting point. EDIT: are you sure it has only one needle? Without going out to the shop, I think those have the two needles controlled by what looks like one knob, but there are two. A center knob for the low speed, and an outer knob for the high speed .

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

Remove your cover & look behind the red & white knobs, I remember two sets of linkage for hi & lo jetting if I remember right

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Pretty sure it has two needles, there just appears to be only one knob….The white outer knob is for high speed, initial setting is 3/4 turns out from gently seated…You will disconnect the linkage off the needle before resetting the needle though. The red knob is for low speed, its initial setting is 1.5 turns out from gently seated. Again, you will have to disconnect the linkage from the needle before resetting it…
    Is the needle actually spinning on its own, or is the linkage just spinning on the needle? If the needle is actually loose and spinning freely, it can be tightened by snugging up the brass packing nut surrounding the needle on the carb…

mgsolakis

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 155
    Topics: 48

Boy you guys are right, mine is missing the white high speed knob. How did this thing run so well last year without even having that’s knob.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Lucky you – The high speed knob is available. The low speed isn’t . . . 😕

phil-b

Replies: 463
    Topics: 28

I got an orange low speed knob from Dan Gano a few years back…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.