Home Forum Ask A Member Cub/mate and pal condensers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy in Tampa
    Participant

what condensers are people using for the Cubs/mates and pals and where can I buy them? 🙄

Mumbles
      Participant

Hey Randy, those motors originally came with condensers rated at 0.1 uF with part numbers 171448 and 171449. Good luck on finding those at your dealers so the way to go now is to use modern capacitors with the same rating. Excellent replacements are the Sprague Orange Drops or Vishay brand caps with the same uF rating. There’s lots of room under the flywheel for the OD’s while the smaller axial Vishays will fit most mags. I’ll try and find the PN’s for both of them but meanwhile check on eBay to see what’s out there.

OK, I found a link for the Vishay caps.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en … =bc2607-nd

And the Orange Drops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprague-Orange- … 2308ca550d

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

Thanks mumbles I’ll give it a shot! 😎

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK Mumbles , please give us a electronics refresher on parallel vs series connection of capacitors. I’m looking at the two in parallel 0.15 uf and thinking that that results in 0.075 uf … correct ?

Joe B

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh’ and by the way… the Vishay caps are especially useful because of their small physical size. They can be retro fit into many of the old metal capacitor cans… like on the old RBM’s . There was a lot of research done by member Jeff R from Arizona in identifying these caps as about the best available for magneto use., both from an electronic and physical size perspective. Thanks Jeff.

Joe B

phil-b
              Participant
                quote JoeCB:

OK Mumbles , please give us a electronics refresher on parallel vs series connection of capacitors. I’m looking at the two in parallel 0.15 uf and thinking that that results in 0.075 uf … correct ?

Joe B

For capacitors in parallel (tied together at both ends) and resistors in serial (in a row) simply add the values.

Capacitors in serial (and resistors in parallel) are calculated using the "harmonic mean":
                the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals or 1 / (1/a + 1/b ……)

Mumbles
                Participant
                  quote JoeCB:

Joe B

No, wrong. 0.15 + 0.15 = 0.30

If they were wired in series I’d still have a rating of 0.15 uF but by juggling them around in parallel I can come up with what I want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.