Home Forum Ask A Member Incomplete Koban

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sputnik16335
    Participant

Good Afternoon All-

Several years ago a two cylinder, battery-ignition Koban ‘rowboat motor’ followed me home from a local flea market. I could see that it was missing several parts, including the steering mechanism and flywheel, along with a few other parts. I’m toying with the idea of getting it running again.

The flywheel is the large open spoked type, so I think I can find a similar one if I can’t find an original, and I’m thinking a lot of the steering mechanism can be fabricated if worse comes to worst.

I think what might be a fatal factor is that it’s missing both pistons and connecting rods.

Do I have a prayer of finding a set of pistons and conrods?

Thanks,
      Rich Roberts

jcrigan
      Participant

You were fortunate enough to find that Koban so it’s possible those parts will turn up. Make notes and gather pictures so you will know what your looking for. It may take years as I have found even with the more recent and common motors.

wiscoboater
        Participant

😀 I know a site moderator that will be drooling over that motor. Right Mums. 😀

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It can take years to find a desirable early outboard and more years to restore. The place to
            ask is Southern Ontario group as really old is all they do. Several in the hobby
            are into foundry and machining to reproduce unobtainable parts…determined.
            restorers who can make what can not be found. .
            Louis

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Rich, finding the missing parts is a good part of the fun involved in this hobby. The hunt is the thing! All the more reason to join the AOMCI and come out to the various meets, scour the swap and sell areas , make friends and contacts. One never knows what might show up at a swap meet.

Joe B

Mumbles
              Participant
                quote wannabe outboard guy:

😀 I know a site moderator that will be drooling over that motor. Right Mums. 😀

Mmmm, maybe. 😀

Hey Rich, good find with the Koban! T2 is the Koban Special Interest Group go to guy around here and is also the Prime Minister of the Souther Ontario Rowboat Motor Chapter.

What’s the number on your motor? it should be on top of the crankcase at the front and does it have removable cylinders? Mines missing the brass rudder and linkage to so I might make one out of aluminum when I get it running. Right now the pistons and rods are in the shop getting resized for some new pins I found.

Here’s what your missing pistons and rods look like. The pistons are made of cast iron and have really wide rings on them. 7/16" I think.

http://sorbchapteraomci.freeforums.net/

Attachments:

sputnik16335
                Participant
                  quote green thumbs:

It can take years to find a desirable early outboard and more years to restore. The place to
                  ask is Southern Ontario group as really old is all they do. Several in the hobby
                  are into foundry and machining to reproduce unobtainable parts…determined.
                  restorers who can make what can not be found. .
                  Louis

Thanks for the contact information. I’ve restored a couple of early ’50s motors. The only prewar one I have is a ’36 Waterwitch. Parts for the later ones were easy to get, and the Waterwitch just required a hand grip. A good scrubbing and some quality time with a buffing wheel made a show motor out of it.

I’m really thinking this will be something to tackle. After all, the quest for parts can be the interesting part.

Thanks again for the info

-RR

sputnik16335
                  Participant

Thanks for the advice. Looks like this will be a do-able project. I’ve done a couple of early ’50s motors and a Mae West Waterwitch, but this one looks like a huge challenge compared to them.

S/N is 5177. Cylinders are not bolted, they are a single casting with the crankcase. I’ll post some pictures.

Thanks again,
                    RR

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The American Rowboat Motor by Arlan Carter covers Koban outboards in depth with lots of
                      pictures of various models. Those fortunate enough to have any rowboat motor to restore could find book inspiring and useful.
                      Available from AOMCI Member Donald A. (BJ) Pawlaczyk
                      Well worth modest price.
                      Louis

sputnik16335
                      Participant
                        quote green thumbs:

The American Rowboat Motor by Arlan Carter covers Koban outboards in depth with lots of
                        pictures of various models. Those fortunate enough to have any rowboat motor to restore could find book inspiring and useful.
                        Available from AOMCI Member Donald A. (BJ) Pawlaczyk
                        Well worth modest price.
                        Louis

Thanks.
                        Ordered a copy from an online book store. About $35 for a new copy.

Amazon had USED copies from $125 to almost five hundred dollars! I have no idea what’s going on there.

Looks like a nice reference

-RR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.