Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 Johnson 90HP Engine Timing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

I was curious if someone had the timing information for a 1964 90HP Johnson. I will be working on this engine soon. It was my deceased neighbors engine they purchased new. She gave it to me a few years ago and I am now just getting around to working on it we are going to put it on my nephews boat. The motor is like new under the cover. We are going to do all the normal things like clean the carbs, new impeller, tune-up. The motor should be in time and everything set correctly I just want to go through the timing myself so I know how to put it back in time and check everything against the actual manual. I use to own a 1961 75hp Evinrude in college so I was looking at the timing of it (I think Gary posted it) and the syn with the carb etc. This motor has 4 carbs stacked on top of each other and what looks to be one carb body for them and I have never sync’d one like it. Thanks for the help.

Joe 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Timing instructions are same as previously posted by Garry. Carburetor/distributor sync is also essentially the same except for the location of the throttle cam on top of the 4 bbl carburetor.

BTW, avoid taking that carburetor apart unless it is really necessary. Gaskets are complex and hard to get, and $$$. Float levels require a special tool (or complex measurements). Pull the hex plugs from the bottoms of the float bowls and look for signs of gum or varnish—reason to take it apart and clean. If nice and bright clean, try it before getting more involved. Just my 2c.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m with Frank, those carbs were near impossible to get right even when everything was right! Don’t mess with the carb(s) if they appear clean and no running/flooding problems are evident when you run it….

joesnuffy
          Participant

Thanks guys great advice about the carbs I see they don’t offer any replacement parts for that particular carb/s so that means to me it wasn’t a good functioning system or they would have kept it. I have obtained a nos gasket that would allow me to separate the carb body where all the floats are but I will not do that unless I have to I will try and soak it first in a carb bath to clean it without taking it apart then start engine and see where that gets me.

I will let you know how it goes through out the process it also has electric gears yuck. It will take me and my nephew a while if we get it right then we win.

The upside it is a one owner and not been worked on except for by a qualified Johnson dealer or the original owner who was a professional. The power head looks to be all original never violated or partially taken apartt.

I will keep you posted and snap some pics to post as we go.

Thanks,
            Joe

joesnuffy
            Participant

We finally got started on the motor. Got the carb off and fuel pump off. Checked the preliminary timing of engine belt/carb mark/flywheel marks/distributor marks and it was all as it should be just have to put in new points/condenser and check the points opening and closing with a test light.

Having trouble getting the lower unit to drop. Does part number 32 (Inlet Housing) have to be removed (in the web page posted below) to get to a bolt underneath it? I didn’t want to force it if their is a bolt underneath it. We are having trouble getting the front screw on the inlet housing to come out don’t want to break it. We actually had trouble getting the other 3 out but we can’t seem to get that one.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/john … case+Group

Thanks,
              Joe

ps turns out engine is a 1966 100hp

beerman57
              Participant

#21 up inside the inlet housing is a gearcase to midsection bolt. If you want to clean the carbs without disassembly, drain the bowls, get some OMC/Merc powertune or Valv-Tect marine motor de-carb (same stuff as powertune) and load the carbs with it, let is sit for a while, then start the motor. Starting it will force the powertune through all the passages, and hopefully get them clean enough without disassembling.

joesnuffy
                Participant

Thank you beerman57. I could see it with my flashlight and thought that might be holding it together. Thanks for the tips on the carb also I will do that as-well. Now got to get that stubborn screw out #36

Take Care,
                  Joe

frankr
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

EDIT: Oops never mind, I was thinking of the 100hp. Comments deleted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.