Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 35 hp will not go into gear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

This is a late 50s 35 hp Evinrude model number 25532 5085. This issue is that the motor will not go into gear. The shifter moves but the motor won’t go into drive. I posted about this a while ago and people suggested removing the powerhead. I have removed the head, I had one stripped screw that gave m about a weeks trouble but I finally got it. What would be the next step?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Did you look to see if the shift rod is moving up and down (behind the oval plate about half way down the shaft)? If it isn’t moving up and down, yes the next step is to access the upper end of it by removing the powerhead (NOT the cylinder head).

1946zephyr
        Participant

Yep, that is my guess too. It either came apart at the shift rod coupler or at the bell crank (which is directly under the powerhead)

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

About half way down the shifter?

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No Remove the ENGINE from the outboard to expose the shift linkage for trouble shooting.
              ABOUT 50% down the outboard exhaust housing look for an access plate held on by two screws.
              REmove those two screws & remove the plate to look at linkage coupling missing a securing screw or two
              ORDER a new head gasket & replace the head. 💡

beerman57
              Participant

So the powerhead is still on the motor? You removed the cylinder head? You need to drop the lower unit: un-do the bottom bolt on the shift linkage inside the door on the midsection, then un-bolt the lower unit and hopefully it will drop down with just a little help. The driveshaft sticks up about 24" or so. Then you can manually shift the L/U and see if that’s the problem. Turn the driveshaft clockwise as you move the shiftshaft up or down and check the propshaft for being in gear or neutral.

mgsolakis
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The powerhead is off an it is clear to see that the shift rod an what connects it to the shifter has come apart and dropped into the bottom of the motor. I replaced the pin with one from my parts motor. Thanks for the help. Just a note to help others after opening two of these up, and seeing that the bit of wire that keeps the pin on was so rusty and worn I would put this job down as general everyone should do upon picking an old one of these motor up. If I had chosen to run the other motor it would not have been long before that one broke as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.