Home Forum Ask A Member 1968 Eska 3.5hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ngillespie10
    Participant

Hey all,

First time posting here, and first time with an Eska. Info below.

Sears & Roebuck
      1968 Eska 3.5hp
      model #: 217.59860
      Serial #: unreadable
      Engine tag: T-642-01A

I got the motor running pretty well in a bucket after resetting the point gap and rebuilding the carb. However, I stupidly ran it without a prop and threw a piston rod through the crankcase housing… I’m assuming the RPMs were too high without the prop which caused the rod to break?

Because everything was in decent working order, I’m thinking of making it into a parts motor for another motor I’ve found, but I wasn’t sure if the parts would be interchangeable.

Will the motor I have (specifically the flywheel and carb) work on a 1969 Eska 3.5hp Model 1703 (serial: 251479)?

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Neil

amuller
      Participant
        quote NGillespie10:

Hey all,

First time posting here, and first time with an Eska. Info below.

Sears & Roebuck
        1968 Eska 3.5hp
        model #: 217.59860
        Serial #: unreadable
        Engine tag: T-642-01A

I got the motor running pretty well in a bucket after resetting the point gap and rebuilding the carb. However, I stupidly ran it without a prop and threw a piston rod through the crankcase housing… I’m assuming the RPMs were too high without the prop which caused the rod to break?

Most likely. Too bad.

Because everything was in decent working order, I’m thinking of making it into a parts motor for another motor I’ve found, but I wasn’t sure if the parts would be interchangeable.

Will the motor I have (specifically the flywheel and carb) work on a 1969 Eska 3.5hp Model 1703 (serial: 251479)?

hard to be sure without trying, but quite likely yes. They are all Tecumseh engines, and Eska used various different ones, but same power, one year apart, good chance they are the same. There are cross-reference tables between sears and Eska model numbers. If there is an engine tag on the 69 that might help.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Neil

ngillespie10
        Participant

Thanks for the reply! I’ve asked the guy about an engine tag and will post it here once I have that info.

Edit:

No engine tag, but everything looks similar. May have to just give it a try and see what happens.

ngillespie10
          Participant

"hard to be sure without trying, but quite likely yes. They are all Tecumseh engines, and Eska used various different ones, but same power, one year apart, good chance they are the same. There are cross-reference tables between sears and Eska model numbers. If there is an engine tag on the 69 that might help."

Do you have the cross-reference table that you’re referring to?

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The differences between the Eska and Sears versions would be mostly cosmetic. Eska used the AV520 engine for a decade or so for the 3.5, 4, and maybe even 4.5 hp outboards. So I would not expect any problem in switching powerhead parts from one to the other.

ngillespie10
              Participant

You are 100% correct retiredoz. I disassembled the 1968 and compared the parts between the two. All of the stamped numbers on the motor (magneto, carb, etc.) are the same. The 1969 Eska is up and going pretty well now. A little carb fine tuning and she’ll be water ready.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.