Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 5.5 finally out on the lake….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Motor runs nicely–not much power, of course, but hums along smoothly and starts with a small tug. I have only a couple of issues to resolve:

The throttle linkage does not seem quite right:

Lever at the top of the vertical shaft smacks the inside of the hood. There does not seem to be opportunity for the gears to be meshing incorrectly, and I do not see any limits to total travel. Am I missing something here?

The position of the red dot on the twist grip does not seem to correspond with reality. For example, the motor barely runs at the "shift" mark, not fast enough to keep going with the sudden prop load. Are there any relevant adjustments?

Perhaps these two things are related?

am

chris-p
      Participant

Can you post a picture of the lever?

The tiller bands are just a rough guide at best of times.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I agree, don’t think the big throttle handle gears can be misaligned. But, the smaller gears next to the vertical throttle shaft could be misaligned. How did you determine that the linkage is hitting the cover? The grip indicator and sleeve rarely line up properly like others have said.

amuller
          Participant

I heard the lever hitting the cover. And there are marks on the inside where it hits.

I pulled out the vertical shaft and the gear that rotates it, and the teeth are one-for-one. I don’t think it can be meshed out of time, at least not without its being obvious.

This isn’t really interfering with the operation of the motor, but I doubt OMC designed it to hit, so I’m bugged to figure it out.

Here is the requested pic:

Funny: Yesterday I was offered one of these motors, with tank, for $50. I don’t know if it was stuck. I controlled myself and passed on it. Probably should have bought it for a winter fix-up and sale in the spring.

Doug Wilson
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

some times can adjust the teeth on the gear from the throttle handle a tooth or so. They do not have a ton of power but are extremely reliable and if tuned well usually start on the first or second pull all day long.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
              turned off?

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Pull the vertical lever and check the part number vs what Marineengine says it should be. There are a zillion flavors of that rod..

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member

This is what it should look like, from your picture it seems your lever is askew ?

https://s13.postimg.org/r7y11h93b/john61.jpg

wedgie
                  Participant

Is it twisted like a candy cane?

Steve A W
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is what Wedgie is talking about, this came off My 57 FD11 18hp.

Member of the MOB chapter.
                      I live in Northwest Indiana

wedgie
                      Participant

Yep. That’s what I was talking about. I have one like that somewhere here too.I was at work when I posted earlier so didn’t have time to elaborate 😉 .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.