Home Forum Ask A Member 1st of many questions Merk KF7

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

mercuryman
      Participant

I have used Dielectric grease on my Mercuries with Bendix coils.

chuckw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If the coils are old, they may fail under load when they get warm, even though you have spark now. Jim Judkins has coils and condensers for Scintillas. You should also replace the top and bottom crank seals. Old Mercs .com has them. You will have to remove the magnet to get at the top seal. Will need a new impeller and 105 Lubriplate in the gear case. Probably should replace the carb float which is probably worn out cork. Good luck. I have 3 KF7s and they are great running motors. Other advice can be found over at John’s Old Mercury site. Mnay knowledgeable people there.
          Good luck.

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

That is one used motor, has great cool factor, +1 on the dielectric grease, as if memory serves its purpose is to isolate the plug wire from potentially grounding to the mag plate. I can look up the "proper" stuff at home in my Merc book as it specifically mentions this particular situation…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ll be following this thread Tubs. I actually bought one of these from Jim Judkins and picked it up at Tomahawk a few weeks ago. I have not gotten into it yet and I have very limited Merc experience. I’m very interested to see what I may find. I’m looking forward to getting it running but not as anxious to start working on it. I have a number of OMC projects lined up ahead of it.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

chris-p
              Participant

I am very new to Mercs as well, but for parts I find Ferguson Poole Marine very helpful and reasonable. They are my go to for Mercury parts.

slim60
                Participant

Mr. poole should have any vintage parts you need. Also a lot of info he’ll tell you over the phone.

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The KF7 is a great-running, fun-to-run engine; and for a Mercury, it is fairly straight forward. The Bendix is not my favorite mag but it will work. Coils are usually bad. Even new coils will only hope to put out a 1/4" spark. Sometimes they will work better with a reduced spark plug gap. Just about any condenser will fit. I used 3.0 liter Mercruiser condensers with the wire lengthened, because I had lots of good used ones on hand. The Bendix magnetic rotor will be found to be pretty darn tight on the crankshaft. Unless doing a total restoration, I wouldn’t worry about the upper crank seal too much, just yet. The lower ones take more of a beating; so you may want to assume THAT one is bad. Gear case/water pump cover is left hand thread. Everybody complains about this but if you think about it, it makes total sense. If they were right hand, the impeller would tend to back the cover off when running. They are thirsty engines, for not being built with a fuel pump; so the filter in the tank and the copper line must be in very good condition, or she’ll fall on her face, at speed. I personally find it’s easier to just make a new copper line, than to clean it. Carbs are simple as pie to clean. While I have never seen a 20 cube Mercury engine where the rings were NOT at least a bit stuck, people get them running all the time without getting into the block and pistons deal. Maybe some Sea Foam or Ring Free would be a good idea.

Long live American manufacturing!

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Removing and replacing Bendix Scintilla magnet rotor is best done with Mercury Service Tools. Magnet rotor can be broken by prying or wedging.
                      Illustrated parts manual is worth having. The KE7 and later 2 cylinder Mercurys
                      should have lower crankshaft seal renewed to prevent water ingestion .
                      Those who like wrenching and are familiar with Mercurys will not find
                      powerhead work difficult…others may differ.
                      Bendix Scintila magneto are a little more demanding than Repco Phelon but you
                      have to work with what you have.
                      Do NOT remove water jacket screws or exhaust cover screws unless you have to…
                      they are known to snap off easily…if you do need to remove assume the will snap
                      and use plenty of heat and tlc to free them if possible…removing broken portion
                      of snapped off fasteners will not be fun or easy.
                      Louis

marty-a
                      Participant

In the second pic with the red arrow pointing left and right, the large holes are taped 14 mm and were used to hold a spare set of plugs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.