Home Forum Ask A Member 1989/1976 9.9 OMC fuel pump issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

1989 J10RCES 9.9/1976 9.9 E10624H both rope start. both pumps look identical.
      I replaced both of these pumps after checking with a fuel pressure guage.
      1989: replaced with BRP PN#1397839 . It leaked between the aluminum pump base and the adjoining plastic section at the gasket. Returned/replaced it with Sierra PN#18-7350. tested and worked fine no leaks .
      1976 10624H :i replaced it with BRP#0391667. It leaked at same place. i returned it and reordered the same hoping for a good one. Nope it leaked too.
      Unfortunately ,there is no Sierra pump or a rebuild kit available.
      I looked at the Sierra catalog and it shows that their rebuild kit 18-7823( for 18-7350) works for 1974-1992.
      The configuration is the same for both pumps, pressure output as listed in the manuals is the same for both.
      Was there a difference in the pulse created by the later powerhead that would not allow the pumps to be interchangeable ?
      I think i will attempt to use Sierra 18-7350 on the 1976 or the rebuild kit.
      Seems to be a real quality issue with the BRP aluminum base finish.
      If anyone could shed any light on this and point me in the right direction,i would like to stop spinning my wheels on this pump issue.
      THANK YOU, Jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

amuller
      Participant

If there is leakage between sections of the pump, perhaps you can lap them flat, granting that keeping track of all the bits and getting them back together is a pain. Diaphragm material in bulk is available for making your own.

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

I believe i have the problem solved , will be using a large electric start style pump, An expert here and i have been PM-ing. i don’t want to disassemble a $100 pump and void the warrantee, shouldn’t have to fix it. Those square pumps are a royal pain! I think i’m done with them..I hope.
          Thanks for the reply.EDIT

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, there may in fact be quality control problem at BRP if a few of the new pumps you have bought have the same leak…I’m assuming you haven’t had any problems with the Sierra pumps that ME.com has replaced the bad BRP pumps with. It is hard to know whether this is a current BRP issue, or perhaps ME.com has some old stock and the problem has since been corrected.
            The larger style pump will certainly work on your 9.9, but is a pain to plumb in…You have to run the pulse line from the stbd side (where the original small pump was mounted) over to the port side where the larger pump is mounted on a bracket.
            There was a bit of a design change in those small pumps used on the 9.9/15s through the years. The original style pumps had an outlet that faced about 10:00, the little fuel line made a big loop over the exhaust cover and went back up to the carb. The later style pumps had an outlet that faced about 7:00, the fuel line just faced downward then looped back forward to the carb. Either style pump will work on any of the engines, but you would have to get a longer fuel line to use the older style pump on a newer engine.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

lookup OMC fuel pump PN#438562 or Sierra 18-7351 on M E. These don’t need the bracket mount and use the pump mounting gasket like on a 9.9. This should work.

Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Boy, I have never tried it, but I don’t think those larger pumps will mount on the original location on the starboard side of the powerhead…The larger pumps are usually located on the port side of the engine, then the pulse line runs from the pump over to the stbd side where the original pump was located….
                93 and later models had the larger pump mounted on the port side, and it mounted right to the block….
                The big pump change was precipitated by those "accumix" tanks which put an additional load on the fuel pump….
                The 438562 number you mention is for the 93 and newer models and will mount directly to the port side of the crankcase on those engines…But, I don’t think it will mount/fit on the starboard side of the older models, even though the bolt pattern/gasket is the same….The part number I found for the pump you would need is: 438500 you will see the bracket in the enclosed link…
                http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … art+Models

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.