V-45 Johnson Head Gaskets

Home Forum Ask A Member V-45 Johnson Head Gaskets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)

• gearhead4

Replies: 29
    Topics: 12

Does anyone have any head gaskets around for a V-45? Ran mine at Tomahawk and found the bottom cylinder of each bank had the "Milky" look on the plug threads where the oil builds up. Top ones were black and the bottom ones had the ugly brownish milk color like coffee.

I have yet to pull the heads but am just anticipating needing the gaskets and figured I’d get a jump start on that. Hopefully in the next couple evenings or this weekend I’ll get the heads off for inspection.

Any thoughts or knowledge of who has some would be great! I believe I found someone online who makes the copper gaskets but can’t recall, it’s on my computer at home.

Thanks!

george-emmanuel

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 498
    Topics: 36

Doug Brooke at Vintage Outboard…..www.vintage outboard.com or 509-747-9960

You will have to re-torque several times after running before they take a complete set.

George

gearhead4

Replies: 29
    Topics: 12

Hi George,

I called Doug and he said he no longer has them for sale! Now I’m not sure what else I can do other than have a batch custom made from somewhere which seems like it’d be expensive or somehow seal up the originals with some sort of sealant or epoxy. I’ve heard of a couple different methods but I’m particular with these things and will likely have the new ones made up.

I still have to pull the heads off for a complete inspection so till that time, I’ll hold off on figuring out this matter but if anyone out there has a set, I’d definitely buy them. Also I’m planning on doing the repair to the center main that Steve was talking about at Tomahawk but will need more information before I attempt anything. Will have to get in touch with him before I do anything further.

I’ll also keep my eyes out for the stolen motors since I’m up in that area, just read your post as I was looking for this one. Feel free to email me more info, absolutely willing to help in any way I can as I do check craigslist all the time!

Matt

george-emmanuel

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 498
    Topics: 36

Matt,

Why removed the heads? Why not remove the cylinders for inspection. If you are getting water in the cylinders and it is an original setup, there must be something else going on. If you were working on a headless cylinder you’d have to pull the cylinder. If you remove the cylinders, mark were the piston ring gaps are so you can correctly position them upon reassembly.

I’m glad to know Doug does not have any left. I bought 2 sets a couple of years ago for 2 restorations I have in the future and I sent a nice used set to one of our Swedish members. So I’m going to keep a close eye on my stock.

Almost finished with the ’28 Speeditwin I picked up at Tomahawk. One wrist pin was really bad and I machined a new one. The JOhnson PO wrist pin will fit perfectly but the original was bronze, so that’s what I replaced it with.

George

Randy in Tampa

Replies: 619
    Topics: 114

if you find someone selling V 45 head gasket please let me know I need a few sets of them… 😐

XR55

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 310
    Topics: 30

I found a source for head gaskets. The company will custom make head gaskets in single or low quantities at reasonable prices. They would need an old gasket or cylinder head to use for a pattern. Cometic Gasket 440-354-0777 tech line ask for Chris Workman or 1-800-752-9850 orders and sales. http://www.cometic.com Address : 8090Auburn Rd. Concord , Ohio 44044 Hours: M-Thur 8:30-5:30 Friday 8-4:30 Hope this can help out.

XR55

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 310
    Topics: 30

Hours are EST

adam1961

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 366
    Topics: 88

I Could use some V head gaskets too. Maybe they can come up with a decent price for a run. Seems like 10 we could ask for at least 10 pairs and go from there.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I have a few V motors as well, if there is a bulk order going on I would take some.

Randy in Tampa

Replies: 619
    Topics: 114

I would like at least three or four sets maybe even five just have a extra ones on hand … 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.