Home Forum Ask A Member Can you help me idenify this Old Evinrude Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    seektruth
    Participant

Through my father I inherited my Grandfather’s Evinrude Outboard. I’m trying to identify year and model and determine it’s market value. Here’s what I know:

– Serial # on metal tag on bottom of boat mounting bracket: 1N010
      – Model # stamped where engine meets exhaust housing: Elto IE. 8 or IL. 8
      – It has two spark plugs: Champion C-4
      – The folding Tiller Handle is stamped: 110566
      – The handle to pick up the motor is stamped : 110565
      – The inside of the flywheel cover is stamped: Z77G

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Attachments:

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

1929 model N evinrude Folding Sportwin, going by serial/model number.

But the transom bracket, tower, and gearfoot all look Elto-ish, and the logo bears that out.

Hope this helps.

best,
        PM T2

seektruth
        Participant

PM T2. Thank you. So do you think this is an Elto? Or are you saying it is a smorgasbord of various engine parts…perhaps rebuilt at some point? Do you think it has any market value?

seektruth
          Participant

I just found a June 1929 advertisement for the Evinrude Folding Sportwin 2.5 HP. The images in this advertisement look exactly like my motor and my motor has the two fold-able features prominent in the ad. So I think you nailed it PM T2. The only thing I am still confused about is why the motor housing is engraved with Elto IE. 8…any ideas? Thanks again for your help

chris-p
            Participant

I answered on the other forum you posted on, but I think it is a bit of an assortment of parts. Mainly Sportwin as Mr Scratch indicated. Cool folder.

As far as value, mainly sentimental value. Wont get rich that’s for sure, but very cool.

IF it was my grandpas, I would keep her and get her running! That would be worth more than the physical money you would get from a sale, just my 2 cents.

pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

BTW – Mr Scratch is my Dad….. 😉

The Boat House
                Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                  seektruth
                  Participant

Tubs…that motor looks awesome. I’m thinking of cosmetically restoring mine (paint job) and will use yours as a guide. As you point out mine looks exactly like yours. Does yours have an Elto stamp on the left side of the engine where the engine meets the prop housing?

And what do you think mine is worth…as is and/or cosmetically restored?

I’m not going to keep it…I’ll sell it to someone who will enjoy it…my Grandfather would be happy with that.

The Boat House
                    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                      vintin
                      Participant
                        quote seektruth:

Tubs…that motor looks awesome. I’m thinking of cosmetically restoring mine (paint job) and will use yours as a guide. As you point out mine looks exactly like yours. Does yours have an Elto stamp on the left side of the engine where the engine meets the prop housing?

And what do you think mine is worth…as is and/or cosmetically restored?

I’m not going to keep it…I’ll sell it to someone who will enjoy it…my Grandfather would be happy with that.

I believe your attempt to paint and restore it will likely reduce it’s value.

We see restorations done by folks not really into this hobby and it is very rare that they increase the motor’s value.

Usually the motors become laughingstocks to those seriously in the hobby.

If you knew what the hourly dollar return was on restorations you’d probably loose interest quickly in doing one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.