Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Evinrude super fastwin 15 HP fuel spray

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I went to look at this motor with a friend who was thinking of buying this motor for sale. The seller had done all the normal work,all new ignition , carb kit,water pump and repainted ,new decals .For the price it was anywhere as nice as the asking price reflected .
      As he had it running , looking from the front of the carb ,on the left side of the intake manifold ,on the back side of the intake up high there is a vent hole ,it was spraying a fine mist of fuel mix out . He loosened the fuel tank cap,thinking it was excess pressure, still sprayed. What is the problem? Needless to say we did not buy it.
      Thanks, PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

chris-p
      Participant

The hole was in the carb, or in the crank case itself?

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

The vent hole was on the back side of the intake manifold or the part of the block where the intake attaches to the powerhead. 2" forward of where the 2 crankcase halves meet. A definite vent hole.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

frankr
          Participant

US Member

All I can think of is a hole that was drilled as a passageway for the crankcase drain system. Should be plugged with a 301732 "Oil Passage Plug".

vintin
            Participant

Any possibility it’s a route for fuel/oil to lube the upper crankcase bearing and missing some fittings?

david-bartlett
              Participant

I took a few pics of my Super Fastwin. I can’t see any on obvious places where a leak could be. No holes. Could be a casting flaw or gasket leaking??
                There is a vent hole on the left side of the carb itself.

These pics are of my 1953. 15hp.

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The 1952 Fastwin was model 4441 and developed 14 horse power. It uses a Tilotson carburetor. The 15 horse Super Fastwin model 15012 came out in 1953 and uses an OMC carburetor. The hole is for a DRAIN, It has already gone through the bearing. I believe it should be routed to the slot in the intake manifold to be recycled. If the hole is blocked, the surplus floods the magneto. . . 😉

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Is this the hole you are looking at? It is the one I mentioned earlier.

greenshot

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant

when we noticed the leak the seller got out that exact parts diagram Frank posted . The leak was on the back side of that flange , where that pin PN#42 goes , shooting a fuel air mist straight back to the rear of the motor. I noticed on the front of the parts book it stated it was for serial #’s after 12,000 (or there about) this motor was 20,000+. So if that pin was missing ,it would not fill the hole that was drilled for an oil passage and it would leak. Seems like the best scenario for this problem. We looked for the end of pin PN#42 in that location on the edge of the flange and could not see it .

Robbie Robertson

david-bartlett
                      Participant

I got a picture of the culprit.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.