Re: 1957 FD11 Johnson questions

Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 FD11 Johnson questions Re: 1957 FD11 Johnson questions

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 1702
Topics: 34

Jerry said exactly what I was going to say concerning the compression gage.

I have heard of the extra thick Sierra impellers causing problems though I have not experienced it myself. Are you getting 2 revolutions or 1 revolution with 2 "thumps" ( one for each cylinder? 2 full revolutions is plenty to start it. If the motor has been sitting for a long time, the oil in the bearings tends to get gummy and makes it hard to pull also. The cylinders get dry and compression numbers can be a bit low. An FD in good condition usually shows over 90psi, sometimes over 100psi on either of my 2 gages. If your gage is bleeding down, I suspect there is an issue with it. I have had plenty of motors come to me that sat idle for many years and pulled over stiffly and after 10 minutes of running feel like new again. Don’t give up on it, its a very nice looking FD and they are great motors. You can pull the bypass covers and check if the rings are free and get a little but of a look at the piston and bores thru the intake ports.
-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube