Re: Enough power?

Home Forum Ask A Member Enough power? Re: Enough power?

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 986
Topics: 40

I think the first thing I’d do is find out what pitch prop you have. As a reference, my 14 ft Alumacraft with a 35 Gale, is turning a 13 pitch brass Michigan prop at the proper RPM’s. i tried a 14 pitch, but it was too much, and planned out slower with less top end power. With a 400 plus pound boat with a 28 hp engine, I would think a lower pitch prop would be needed… maybe even an 11 pitch?? All boats are different though, and you really need a tachometer hooked up to the motor to see what it’s turning.
keep in mind that 2 cycle engines can’t make their rated H.P. unless they are turning at the specified rpm,s they are rated at. In other words, a motor that is being lugged due to a wrong pitch prop, or to much weight in the boat, etc. will not allow the engine to reach it’s full power potential.
Or, maybe the 28 motor is just not enough ? If you have a long shaft transom and a 40 hp max rated boat, then you may just need more motor. Maybe a picture of your boat/motor combo would help us give a better opinion.