Re: Environmentally friendly oil for 67 Johnston folding motor

Home Forum Ask A Member Environmentally friendly oil for 67 Johnston folding motor Re: Environmentally friendly oil for 67 Johnston folding motor

kms

Replies: 7
Topics: 1

Thank you. I want to do what’s best for this lovely little motor, while minimizing the environmental impact. If the consensus is that 24:1 or even 16:1 is a better idea, I’m cool with that. And for as much oil as I’m going to use, I’m happy to pay for better stuff. I would feel better dumping more but safer oil than less but nastier oil. I also plan to add marine Sta-Bil and ethanol free gas (supposedly available around here).

quote westwind:

The amount of oil required as been an ongoing argument for far too many years. Here’s some info from my 1973 Evinrude Mate, note that they spent 3 valuable pages discussing their thoughts on the amount of oil required. They are pretty specific about the old SAE 30 oil that was only available in the 1950’s, before TC-W oil became available. Of course the problems caused by too much oil are not as bad as using too little, and cheap oil may only save you money in the short term. I understand your concerns for the environment and dumping oil in the lake is frowned upon. Do what makes you feel comfortable, after all it is finally the owner’s decision. Don’t forget to fog the motor before storage to prevent corrosion inside.