Re: Chirping Carburetor Syndrome

Home Forum Ask A Member Chirping Carburetor Syndrome Re: Chirping Carburetor Syndrome

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 6715
Topics: 51

How far the reed opens has nothing to do with the fuel – air ratio. That is controlled by the carb knob. How far and how easy does affect the air charge volume. And how easy to fatigue and break.

OK, you got me curious to do some searching. I looked at parts lists from <1950, 1951-54 (yours), and 1955-up. I also went out to the shop and tore down two carbs, one a pre-1950, and a 5D10. Conclusion: I couldn’t reach one. They both had the exact same set-up. One spacer, 0.011"
thick, as the book seems to indicate. However, the 1955 book does show two spacers. Sorry, I don’t have a 1955 carb to open up.

Lastly, I looked at the Gale service manual and got what might be an AHA moment. It says the reed tension is pre-set at the factory. Makes sense that it would be adjusted by an extra spacer if needed (????)

My advice? Put it back like you found it and stop worrying about it. Worked for me for the last 50 years or so.

Attachments: