Re: 1951 Johnson QD12 lower unit won’t drop

Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 Johnson QD12 lower unit won’t drop Re: 1951 Johnson QD12 lower unit won’t drop

bob-d

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 513
Topics: 104

Thanks Jeff, so far have tried with the motor hanging upside down with the shaft in a vice, PB Blaster, Aero Kroll, heat from torch, tapping with a brass hammer on shaft,and a air hammer. No luck so far. I’m now going to put it over to the side of the shop (maybe if I don’t see it I won’t get annoyed!) and let it sit with liberal use of 50/50 ATF and acetone.
I guess the next step if the 50/50 doesn’t work would be to drill a hole in the center of the shaft and make a homemade puller arrangement.
The strange thing is that the motor is in nice shape, decals, paint etc. When I finally got the lower unit down, even the impeller looked good, and the lower unit oil was in decent shape.Not knowing the history of the motor I wanted to change the impeller just for safety sake, and that’s where the trouble started.
it only goes to show the problems that can occur when you take a shortcut,and don’t grease the top of the driveshaft whenever you drop a lower unit .